Act fast, special offers end soon! Up to $294 is savings when you get Premium today.
Get offer codes

Announcing the Community Champions for this week!

Thanks a lot Nityesh! Great job champions! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the recognition! :slight_smile:

Do I get a week of premium subscription even if my current subscription is free? Or is it only for current premium subscribers? I started using DQ only recently, so I’m still doing the free Python courses.

1 Like

Yes, you get a free week of subscription even if you are on the free plan currently! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @nityesh, and thank you @Elena_Kosourova for all your help!

2 Likes

Thank you so much @nityesh! This is very encouraging!

1 Like

This week our Community Champions shared a lot of interesting projects.

Here they are: :tada:

Personal Project

@artur.sannikov96 shared a project that he did with his colleague - History of Video Games in the Last 40 Years.

In this project, they used their data analytics skills to analyze a video game dataset and answer interesting questions like:

• What is the most successful video game in history?
  • What is the most successful publisher?
  • What is the most successful game franchise?
  • What is the historical development of publishers, game platforms, and genres?

Guided Project sharers

• Another great project from @gosaints, on Popular Data Science Questions.

They tweaked the original topic making it more focused and made a lot of extra steps, such as using wordcloud library, creating co-occurrence matrix, investigating deep learning questions growth rate and questions by month. As usual, awesome plots, interesting observations, conclusion and methodology summary.

• @Elena_Kosourova also shared another amazing project on Investigating Fandango Movie Ratings.

She reproduced all the elements of FiveThirtyEight style with a high precision for creating beautiful plots, compared Fandango to the other movie aggregators including both rating distribution shapes and summary statistics, and used pretty-printing for displaying tabular data.

Guided Project reviewers

Finally, a shoutout to @Basti and @brayanopiyo18 for giving helpful, actionable feedback on their peers’ projects! :heart:

Thank you all for participating in our Community! :heart:

I am glad to reward each of you with:

• A 7 day extension on your current Dataquest subscription :rocket:
  • An exclusive Community Champions badge in our Community :medal_sports:

5 Likes

Thanks @nityesh! Good job Champions;)

Happy coding everyone :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, Nityesh! :star_struck: Congratulations to all the champions! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

Thank you and congratulations to everyone!

3 Likes

Thank you @nityesh! Great job everyone!

2 Likes

Thank you @nityesh for the special recognition and congratulations to all the other champions.

1 Like

Hey Champs,

We are in the middle of changing our subscription management tool. So, there will be some delay in giving y’all the extension this week. I expect to give everyone the free subscription by the end of this week.

Sorry for the delay. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We’re recognising a lot of new writers this week. Join me in giving a shoutout to this week’s Community Champions: :tada:

Dataquest Writers

Congratulations on writing some awesome articles, folks! Hoping to read more from you in the coming weeks. :slight_smile:

Personal Project Sharer

@jmerrell247 shared a personal project that they recently completed in which they analysed the 538 data set of club soccer prediction to see how good they are.

Guided Project Sharer

@jesmaxavier shared a cool Guided Project on Analyzing CIA Factbook data.

It stands out for its perfect structure including navigation, cover image and the acknowledgement section, intriguing subtitles, interesting-to-follow storytelling style, and references to amazing side articles throughout the project.

Guided Project reviewer

Again, I would like to give my deepest thanks to @Elena_Kosourova and @brayanopiyo18 for reviewing Guided Projects in the community. :heart:

5 Likes

Thanks @nityesh , congratulations to the other champions!

1 Like

Thanks @nityesh! Appreciate the acknowledgment :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, Nityesh! Great job everybody! :partying_face:

1 Like

It is such a pleasure to see amazing things being shared in our community. Sometimes, I worry about what might happen if we don’t get any good stuff shared in Share category one week. But every week I find amazing things in there! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Here are the Community Champions who shared amazing things with our Community last week: :tada:

Articles:

One week in and we have already received 2 submissions for the March Writers contest with the $250 prize:

• @Elena_Kosourova wrote the first one: “Spaceborn” visualizations: some interesting plot types applied to a UFO dataset telescope :telescope:

“While bar charts, histograms, scatter plots, line charts, and box plots are wide-spread and efficient tools for displaying data and finding patterns in it, there are other graphs, less popular but still very useful for creating excellent visualizations. Let’s explore some of them on another type of less known objects: those unidentified flying saucers.”

• @uni.hue.lee wrote an article walking us through a project where she tries to find a data-driven answer to the question: Do younger generations care more about climate change?

" Generation Z cannot afford to alone in this fight. Support from older generations is needed to bring about meaningful change in policy because they outweigh Gen Z in terms of voting power and political influence. How much intergenerational support does climate issues have? In this blog, I analyze the 2016 European Social Survey data in R to explore generational differences in attitudes toward climate change."

Personal Project sharer:

@refucetola shared their personal project with us where they try to inspect what types of energy different countries use over time and compare that to the annual carbon emmissions for those countries.

Most liked:

@masterryan.prof reshared an insightful article on “how depending on too many open source libraries (esp. in enterprises is not always a good thing) and how making typos may lead you to downloading a malicious package (so check the spelling :eyes: ).”

Guided Project sharers:

• @BunterTheMage shared for the first time his guided project on NYC Schools SAT Scores, which stands out for its great structure, profound data analysis, smooth and coherent storytelling, nice visualizations, and curious side materials.

• @gosaints shared another amazing well-structured and well-commented project on Best Markets To Advertise In. @gosaints applied 2 different approaches to data analysis and illustrated their insights with cool perfectly annotated visualizations.

Guided Project reviewer:

@brayanopiyo18 and @Elena_Kosourova continue to give immensely helpful feedback on the Guided Projects that learners share in our Community! :heart:

7 Likes

Thanks a lot Nityesh , all the best to other champions.

2 Likes

Thank you @nityesh! Congrats to the other winners!

2 Likes