Announcing the Community Champions for this week!

Congratulations, for the work and effort you are doing, seeing people moving forward encourages me to continue.

When the time comes I will study your work, I am sure I will learn a lot, I thank you in advance.

A.

2 Likes

Things have started heating up in the 3rd week of the March Writers contest - we’ve published 4 new articles this week! :fire:

With only 8 days left in the contest, I’m confident we’ll publish even more articles this week. In fact, I know we’ll publish more because I have 4 new drafts sitting with me for review as I’m writing this.

Keep 'em coming, folks! :heart_eyes:

Here are our Community Champions for this week: :tada:

Writers

• @theparidhi0 has written a great piece discussing how she created a cool Twitter bot that allows people to play chess… on Twitter!

Making a Twitter bot might seem like a complex thing but all I needed for making this bot was:

• To know a little bit about chess
    • A Twitter account
    • Basic knowledge of Python
  • @veratsien also wrote an article walking us through a bot she created - a Discord bot. She talks about creating a Discord bot does web scraping for us.

Before we get our hands dirty, I want to make it clear that while it seems like I’m complicating web-scraping by throwing in building a Discord bot. The bot is actually really simple to make thanks to the awesome Discord package.

• @sharmaniti437 wrote an article where she discusses 3 important mathematical laws that make Data Science fun.

Of all concepts and laws, three mathematical laws stand out. Data science professionals must have a knowledge of these. They include:

• The Law of Large Numbers
    • Zipf’s Law, and
    • Benford’s Law
  • @yadramshankar published an article on Saving Animal Lives with Data - An Introduction to Animal Shelter Analytics.

It is currently estimated that there are about 5,000 independently-run animal shelters in the world. I personally feel there might be more. The efficiency of operations at these shelters depend largely on their ability to satisfy their main objective, usually to optimize select metrics. And in order to calculate these metrics, there is a requirement to collect, maintain and analyze data.

• @bvalgard, our amazing Career Moderator, published an article sharing Seven tips for Success After Dataquest.

CONGRATULATIONS! You just finished your Dataquest career path. But now what?! In this post, I will go over 7 tips on what to do after you have completed the Dataquest analyst/scientist/engineer career path. The best part is you do not even have to be finished with the career path to start using these tips. These tips can be helpful at any skill level.

Guided Project sharer

• @jesmaxavier has done it again - they have shared another awesome Guided Project!

This time on Answering Business Questions using SQL. It stands out for its wonderful and even intriguing subheadings, original and capturing storytelling style, very in-depth data analysis, and amazing visualizations.

Guided Project reviewers

This week, I’d like to call out some of the new budding reviewers who are helping folks in our community - @vinigomesaraujo and @clarkebacharach.

Y’all are providing helpful, actionable feedback to your peers’ Guided Projects. Great job!

I’d love to see you continue checking out and commenting on other people’s projects as you progress through the path.

Thank you all for participating in our Community! :heart:

I am glad to reward each of you with:

• A 7 day extension on your current Dataquest subscription :rocket:
  • An exclusive Community Champions badge in our Community :medal_sports:

6 Likes

Great job champions! @nityesh thanks for creating the writers’ contest, it really motivates me to write more!

1 Like

Thank you so much for the mention, @nityesh! I’m trying to be more active in the community, and I surely will give more feedbacks :slight_smile:
Congratulations, champions of the week, and awesome articles from the March contest.

1 Like

@nityesh thanks for the appreciation! To the others you are on a roll…keep at it! :smiley:

1 Like

REMINDER: Only 2 days left for the March Writers Contest to end. Be sure to submit your drafts latest by 31st March.

I’ll announce the winner in the 3rd week of April - so you’ll have plenty of time to market your article and collect the likes! :wink:

On to the Community Champions for this week: :tada:

Writers:

• Our long time Community Moderator @otavios.s created A Guide to Scraping HTML Tables with Pandas and BeautifulSoup.

"It’s very common to run into HTML tables while scraping a webpage, and without the right approach, it can be a little tricky to extract useful, consistent data from them.

In this article, you’ll see how to perform a quick, efficient scraping of these elements with two main different approaches: using only the Pandas library and using the traditional scraping library BeautifulSoup."

• @michael.hoang17 has another fun project for us - this time he’s walking us through How an MMA fan did a better job than the experts (and made a few bucks) with predictive modeling.

“While I don’t condone it, let’s see what would happen if I use my model to make bets on fights. A quick look at the payouts using the picks derived from my predictive model, it appears that if I were to place a $100 wager for each fight, I would stand to make a net $269.07 profit from wagering $1000.”

• @artur.sannikov96 tells us about his experience of creating a Telegram bot that would send him the day’s weather forecast and tell him whether he should be carrying an umbrella.

" After reading this article, you will learn:

1. How to get weather data from OpenWeather API
    2. How to create a Telegram Bot
    3. How to send a personalized message through Telegram API
    4. How to make the bot remind you to take an umbrella
    5. How to upload your script on an AWS server and make it run every morning"

• @jasmineshi1997 wrote about how she used her data science skills to understand the safety of urban neighborhoods in Canada

"As someone living in Vancouver, one of the most populous cities in Canada, I believe urban municipalities need to be prepared to welcome these newcomers. Although Canada is a relatively safe country, it is not without crime. Newcomers should understand the crime scene and choose carefully about where to live.

My goal for this project is to help migrants understand the safety of the urban neighborhoods in Canada by categorizing them."

Noteable Guided Project sharers:

Guided Project reviewers:

Alternate Solutions

Thank you all for contributing to our Community! :heart:

6 Likes

Thank you very much @nityesh , for the special recognition and the appreciation, To the other champions, congrats! and let’s continue making the community great.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recognition @nityesh!

Happy coding :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, Nityesh! :heavy_heart_exclamation: Congratulations to all the champions, great job! :partying_face:

3 Likes

@nityesh, thank you for the exclusive recognition :pray:t3: This fuels hard and creative work!
I wasn’t expecting that as there wasn’t any reply to my post yet :grinning:

Yet, it’s a value add to my resume I must say!

Congratulations to all!

2 Likes

Thank you Nityesh and congratulations to all the champions!

2 Likes

Last week, we concluded the March Writers Contest! But don’t forget, you can still submit your articles in our magazine, DQ Direct. We will share them with our audience to help you boost your career.

Now, onto the Community Champions of this week: :tada:

Writers:

• @theparidhi0 wrote an awesome article where she curated a list of free resources that can compliment every step in our Data Scientist path

“With this article I aim to list down a couple of additional resources and project ideas to refer to, for each step in the Data Scientist Path. All the resources I’ve included in this post are absolutely free of cost, accessible to everyone and created by sources that I truly believe in!”

• @v.kotecha shared his inspiring success story of starting a small freelance business using his data science skills in the middle of the pandemic.

“Obviously, this budding small enterprise didn’t come from nothing, and what I’ve found works well for me may not work in the same way for everyone else, but I wanted to share a few simple steps that helped me start down this path, and feel would be helpful for anyone looking to start a small business or even just make a bit of money on the side”

• @Elena_Kosourova wrote a great piece where she gives practical advice on how you can improve your bar plots.

“Being one of the most common visualization types, a bar plot is technically very easy to create: we need to write just one short line of code. However, if we want to create a really informative, easily readable graph efficiently revealing the story behind the data, we have to keep in mind several important things, which we’re going to discuss in this article.”

• @uni.hue.lee wrote an article walking us through an interesting personal project of hers where she tries to analyze Will coal and nuclear power survive the energy transition?.

“As energy transition advances, what will happen to conventional power sources such as nuclear and coal? To answer this question, let us turn to Denmark, which has the largest share of low-carbon energy (solar, wind, hydro, biomass, waste, geothermal) in the EU, reaching 77.3% of the total generation in 2019. (Data source: Our World in Data).”

Guided Project sharers:

• @Elena_Kosourova for Finding the Best Markets to Advertise In

She made highly readable and informative visualizations, including missing value graphs and stem plots, created pretty-printed tables, used many functions for code optimization, and analyzed best markets by age category and potential customer paying capacity.

• @YoussefAlaaEtman for their work on Exploring Hacker News project.

Youssef was curious enough to return to a previous project after learning matplotlib and to update it in the light of his new knowledge. Also, great job additionally analyzing post comments by month and by day of week.

Guided Project reviewers:

Alternate Solution:

Thank you all for contributing to our Community! :heart:

5 Likes

Yaay thanks for the shoutout, Nityesh! Really motivates me to keep writing more. :smiley:

Also, Congratulations to all the community champions! :sparkles:

3 Likes

Thank you very much @nityesh for the recognition and even the rewards , to other champions , congratulations and let’s continue making the community great!

2 Likes

Thank you for the update. But it seems that the link for @v.kotecha’s article is not correct. Can you share the right link for his project?

2 Likes

That’s so cool Nityesh, this week I became the champion 3 times! :sweat_smile:. This is my record, at least for now :heart_eyes_cat: Thank you very much, and congratulations to the other champions! :trophy: :tada:

4 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out, Uni! I’ve made the correction now. sorry for the confusion.

Wow, I totally missed this! Hats off to you, @Elena_Kosourova!! :heart_eyes: :tophat:

1 Like

Well done champions!

Thanks @theparidhi0 for sharing great resources with us!:slight_smile:

Happy coding :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you @artur.sannikov96 :smiley:

1 Like