Announcing the Community Champions for this week!

Thank you @nityesh
Frankly speaking I didn’t notice at once that I was awarded :grin:
But for me it is a rather motivating thing, because I was a little bit exausted with that project and to recieve such feedback a great pleasure

2 Likes

Apologies for being a bit late this week. But here are the Community Champions of this week: :tada:

Writer:

@Elena_Kosourova has written another fantastic article for us - Going Beyond Simple Bar Plots. This time she discusses the various alternatives to simple bar plots. :bar_chart:

“Bar plots seem to be the best choice when it comes to displaying proportions of different elements of the whole. Are there some other charts with functionality similar to theirs?”

Guided Project sharer:

@rickyboshe shared his amazing R guided project on Analyzing NYC School Survey. It has interesting storytelling and observations, and awesome interactive visualizations in Plotly and Tableau! :heart_eyes:

Guided Project reviewer:

@brayanopiyo18 and @Elena_Kosourova reviewed and gave actionable feedback on their peers’ projects. You can join the fun by hopping into the Guided Project category and checking out the cool projects!

Top topic creator:

@kevin_q has started a very interesting discussion in his topic - When did you feel like Python finally “clicked” for you? . Hop in to read the experiences of @mathmike314, @Elena_Kosourova, @ksenia.kustanovich, @vadim.maklakov and @molendykj or share your own story!

Thank you for contributing to our Community! :heart:

I am glad to reward you with:

• A 7 day extension on your current Dataquest subscription :rocket:
  • An exclusive Community Champions badge in our Community :medal_sports:

3 Likes

Thank you very much @nityesh for the consistence appreciation, I appreciate … to the other champions, congratulations! and let’s keep making the community great.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Nityesh! :partying_face: Congratulations to all the champions! :trophy:

2 Likes

Thanks Nityesh! Congratulations to all the champions!

1 Like

Here are our Community Champions who shared awesome stuff in our Community last week: :tada:

Writer:

@michael.hoang17 wrote an awesome article describing a personal project he created using RStudio and Shiny - Killing two birds with one stone: How I learnt to use Shiny by making a home workout web app.

What stands out here is Mike’s philosophy of building to learn, his project idea and how engaging he has made the article by spicing it up his humour. A personal favorite of mine! :heart:

" Whenever I’m trying to pick something up and get good at it, my default process is to come up with some kind of relatively doable idea and try to make that happen from nothing by piecing things together whilst failing miserably throughout the entire process. Not the most intelligent learning strategy, but then again, I’m not a very intelligent person to start."

Guided Project sharer:

• @vadim.maklakov did an amazing job on Investigating Fandango Movie Ratings.

Vadim used a great choice of visualization techniques including strip plots and obtained fantastic graphs. Besides, he conducted very interesting and profound statistical analysis.

• @Elena_Kosourova shared her latest Guided Project on Mobile App for Lottery Addiction.

She created all the required and additional functions and customized them for all possible inputs (including wrong ones) and outputs. She has also inserted some emoji and statistical examples to encourage or discourage people from actions.

Guided Project reviewers:

@Elena_Kosourova and @brayanopiyo18 stand out again this week for sharing great feedback on Guided Projects shared in our community! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

5 Likes

Thank you very much @nityesh , and congratulations to all the champions!

4 Likes

Thank you very much @nityesh !
Congratulations to all the champions!
And wish all continued success!

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, Nityesh! :star_struck: Congratulations, guys! :star2:

3 Likes

Here are our Community Champions who created tremendous value in our community last week: :tada:

Writer:

@makis_plegas recently completed the Data Scientist Path (:confetti_ball:) and decided to share advice that would help people who are currently taking the journey on the path. So, he wrote this amazing article - > from dataquest import *

" A few thoughts, while completing the Data Scientist Path, towards the “undergraduate ” students… You are very lucky because this platform is way better than the others, in that it obligates you to roll up your sleeves … But, in order to achieve your goals, you should think of the following I am about to share with you, as they made my way more efficient"

Guided Project sharer:

• @a.xitas did great work in their project on Popular Data Science Questions .

It stands out for its amazing and insightful plots, smooth and easy-to-follow narrative, clean code, and distinguishing data wrangling as an additional potential resourse to investigate.

• @ywbadri shared another amazing guided project discussing Are SATs a Fair Test for All Students.

It demonstrates a very thorough and detailed data analysis supplemented with a lot of cool, clean, and informative visualizations and interesting storytelling.

• @YoussefAlaaEtman also shared his commendable work on Finding Heavy Traffic Indicators on I-94.

The project is really good but what makes it amazing is the animation for dense scatter plots. Gotta love that! :heart_eyes:

Guided Project reviewer:

This week, I want to highlight @kwu and @YoussefAlaaEtman for giving helpful feedback on each other’s project in the Data Visualisation Intermediate course. (1 2) :heart:

8 Likes

Thank you so much!! Honored to be chosen again :blush:

Congrats to the other champions!! :tada:

2 Likes

Eek - We announced the May Writers Contest last week! :confetti_ball: I’m soo excited to see what you all come up with!! :heart_eyes:

It’s a great excuse to write your first article that you can proudly show in your job interviews to demonstrate your soft skills. :wink:

Get all the deets about the contest here.

Now onto our this week’s Community Champions announcement: :tada:

Writers

@Elena_Kosourova and @masterryan.prof kicked off this contest by publishing 2 articles:

• Elena wrote about her experience with using the Wordcloud library to analyse the popular children’s book, “The Little Prince” - What You Can Learn About a Popular Book by Looking at its Word Clouds.

" Many people love “The Little Prince”, others find it too confusing and misleading (you might check this article), but the fact is that nobody is indifferent to it.

So, can we unriddle some of the mysteries of this story using word clouds? Let’s try and see."

• Ryan, who has been a Learning Assistant with us for almost a year now, wrote advice on How to prevent yourself from giving up on learning technology . He used his experience as a Dataquest student and a cyber security student to create a very practical guide.

“From what I observed in most people getting into technology and how the learn using various approaches, I consolidated the main reasons why I feel people give up learning technology (be it Data Science or other IT-related fields).”

It’s a great read if you want to understand

Guided Project sharers

Guided Project reviewers

@artur.sannikov96 and @brayanopiyo18 created value for their peers by checking out their projects and giving them actionable feedback!

4 Likes

Thank you very much, Nityesh!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for recognition, Nityesh! :heavy_heart_exclamation: Congratulations to all the champions! :trophy:

1 Like

Thanks again @nityesh and others in the community who inspire me to help others and continue writing to inspire other individuals!

1 Like

Thanks @nityesh! Well done, champions:)

Happy coding :grinning:

1 Like

Here are the Community Champions of this week: :tada:

Writers

• @otavios.s wrote very inspiring piece on describing his journey of learning Data Science and getting a job - How I learnt Data Science, worked as a freelance writer and found my first data job

I have had the opportunity to get to know Otávio as the helpful Community Moderator and an amazing writer. So, reading his success story makes me so incredibly happy! :heart_eyes: :confetti_ball:

“I use Python and SQL on a daily basis. These skills not only helped me get the job, but they are also helping me to stand out in the company. So yes, the process was worth it and the hard work paid off.”

• @monorienaghogho shared a helpful tutorial on Investing: Minimum Variance Portfolio and the Efficient Frontiers.

“In this article, we looked at how we can invest our wealth to get the maximum possible returns. We discussed the Modern Portfolio Theory and showed how it helps us answer the question, “How should we invest our wealth?”, by estimating the maximum return for each risk profile.”

Guided Project sharers

• @sbgraham72 shared an amazing project on CIA Factbook and “Mutiny on The Bounty” Island via SQL.

It stands out for its very thorough data analysis, smooth and capturing storytelling like reading a book, incredible background research supplemented with amazing pictures and demonstrating a huge curiosity of Bruce to the topic.

• @alekseikondratenko7 shared another amazing project on Star Wars survey.

It is perfectly structured, with clean and comprehensive well-commented code, all the necessary emphasizing to facilitate reading, and great dataviz, including color selection and interactivity.

Guided Project reviewers

Finally, this week I want to highlight @brayanopiyo18 and @artur.sannikov96 for sharing some amazing feedback on their peers’ Guided Projects! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Thanks for creating value for our community, yall! :heart:

5 Likes

Thank you very much @nityesh for the recognition , and congratulations to all the champions!

1 Like

Thank you @nityesh! Congratulations to all champions, you make this community a better place:)

Happy coding :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Thank you very much @nityesh and DQ.

2 Likes