Announcing the Community Champions for this week!

@nityesh Thank you for mentioning my ‘first’ project. It was a unique challenge in the sense that I can’t use any of the convenient libraries I’ve been using so it requires a lot more patience and creativity in solving the problem. I definitely didn’t give it 100% because of my limited patience… It’s like trying to paint with three colors. :sweat_smile:

Bravo to all beginners for completing this project as the first. Coming from a ‘finisher’, it’s not an easy one. It really only gets easier later on. So keep up the good work and rock on! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Here are the Community Champions for this week: :tada:

Most liked:

Guided Project sharers:

Guided Project reviewers:

@brayanopiyo18 and @jithins123 provided a tremendous help to their peers by giving them constructive feedback on their projects.

Alternate solutions:

Last week, @eashwary shared interesting alternate solutions for 3 of our exercises -

Thank you all for sharing amazing things with the community. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

I am glad to reward each of you with:

• A 7 day extension on your current Dataquest subscription :rocket:
  • An exclusive Community Champions badge in our Community :medal_sports:

5 Likes

Thanks a lot @nityesh for the mention. I’m glad my assistance is found to be useful. Thanks a lot for the appreciation. Congratulations to other community champions as well.

4 Likes

Oh, many thanks Nityesh! :heavy_heart_exclamation: I’m very happy that my project was appreciated, it was not an easy one at all! :crazy_face: Congrats Champions! :partying_face:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @nityesh for the special recognition, I am really glad and I do appreciate for being part of this community. Congratulations to all the other champions and wishing you a happy learning.

3 Likes

Happy new year folks!

The first cohort of Community Champions of 2021 looks amazing: :heart_eyes:

Most liked:

Article:

• @veratsien, one of our most active learners in the Community, shared a very cool personal project in this article - they demonstrated their analytics skills by analyzing their journey of learning from Dataquest!

They created a dataset by parsing the weekly accomplishment emails that Dataquest sends. I love the creativity!

Personal Projects:

• @michael.hoang17 shared an exceptional personal project that analyses Gym memberships. Michael was able use their knowledge from taking our R path to do a personal project with their employer.

It must have taken a tremendous amount of effort as Michael has done everything - creating the dataset (which they have generously shared on Github), cleaning the dataset and analyzing it!

Whether you’re learning R or Python, you should check it out.

• @artur.sannikov96 put their knowledge of web scraping with BeautifulSoup to use in a personal project where they collect the metadata of more than 11000 books from the Blackwell’s Bookshop website. Artur clearly documents and walks us through every step of creating the dataset.

Complementary Resources:

NEW: Starting this week, the Community Champions program is also going to recognize learners who share links to resources on the Internet that complement one of our missions/screens.

I believe that using multiple resources to learn a concept can provide a better learning experience.

If you would like to participate, simply:

1. create a new topic in the Resources category
  2. add link to the resource
  3. talk about how it is helpful
  4. add a link to the relevant mission screen from Dataquest

For example, @aris shared a great resource for learning about “phantom argument” in Python Object Oriented Programming here.

Guided Project sharers:

• @seannguyen.2016 shared a great project on Answering Business Questions for Chinook using SQL.

As @Elena_Kosourova said, this project stands out because of :

very good and easy-to-follow storytelling and project structure, amazing visualizations (emphasizing the bars of interest was a good idea), adding comments not only to the python part of the code but also inside the queries themselves, writing separately main results and recommendations in the conclusion, good usage of bold font where necessary.

• @jeffreybarfield shared another great project on Visualizing Earnings based on college majors. Check out this project to learn more about the new library that Jeffrey uses for data visualisation - Altair.

Finally, I want to thank @brayanopiyo18 and @jithins123 for reviewing so many Guided Projects in the Community and giving constructive feedback on them. :slight_smile:

Thank you all for sharing amazing things with the community. :heavy_heart_exclamation:

6 Likes

@nityesh Thanks for the shoutout! And a great job in creating such a friendly and helpful community :heavy_heart_exclamation: Greate job champions! Happy new year! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Hi @nityesh, thanks a lot for the special recognition, I am so glad to be here. Congratulations to all the champions and wishing all a Happy new year.

4 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout @nityesh. It really was a lot of work (approx. ~ 10-20 hours a week) to get the whole thing done so any recognition is absolutely appreciated. Hopefully, some folks will be able to get something from this.

On another note, I already got some positive feedback on that project from my boss. Although, this could bite me if I end up becoming the resident data analyst guy on top of everything else.

3 Likes

Thank you @nityesh for the shoutout! It really means a lot as an aspiring data analyst/scientist. Like others have said, thanks for creating a much more positive community! Hope everyone is enjoying their learning journey!

3 Likes

Thanks for the shoutout @nityesh! It took me quite a lot to finish the project but I was very satisfied. Even though I still did not finish the DQ Data Analyst path (have to finish the last 2 steps) I decided to start working on my personal projects and this one was a big kick-off to start believing in my skills:)

Happy coding everyone :smile:

P.S I also published both datasets I made on Kaggle.

3 Likes

Here are the Community Champions for this week: :tada:

Guided Project sharer:

• @nyaneba1 shared an good guided project Exploring Ebay Sales. It looks really nice: very well-structured, clean code, well-commented, interesting storytelling and insights.

@biadboze, @brayanopiyo18 and @Elena_Kosourova provided exceptional help to learners in this community by giving them helpful feedback on their Guided Projects. You feedback helps in making learners motivated and tells them how to improve. Thank you!

Most liked:

This week, @Deepa shared her experience from learning everyday in a sweet little post. I’m glad that you’re taking tiny steps every day to learn something. :heart:

Alternate Solution:

• @veratsien shared an alternate solution using the Counter class that she discovered. In her words, " Counter() is so powerful it almost feels like cheating." :joy:
  • @eashwary shared an alternate way of calculating constants in the Guided Project: Building a Spam Filter Using Naive Bayes.

Complimentary Resources:

If any of you are interested in talking more about your experience/knowledge article-style, I would love to help you out. Feel free to send me a private message.

Publishing articles is a great way to build your portfolio. All the interesting things you’re already doing in the community will make for a great fodder for your article.

Moreover, if you write it, we will publish it in Dataquest Direct, share it with our network of 200,000+ data enthusiasts and give you extra days of Dataquest for free! Learn more about it here.

4 Likes

Hi @nityesh, thank you very much for the recognition and congratulations to all the champions who have been consistently making this community ever great.

4 Likes

Thank you very much, Nityesh, that’s a great news! :confetti_ball: Congrats champions! :balloon:

4 Likes

@nityesh Thank you for the recognition and for spreading the word! The only worry I have after discovered the Counter class is kinda like finding a new favourite sauce – now I’m gonna put it in everything.:joy:

3 Likes

Hey @nityesh, Thks for the gift , Happy to help the community. Congrats champions

2 Likes

@nityesh thank you so much for the recognition! Still can’t believe my little project won this honour.

2 Likes

@nityesh kind of you to notice : ) thank you. The Writers Challenge looks interesting. I’m feeling motivated to give it a go.

2 Likes

Awesome! Let me know if you need any help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here are the Community Champions for this week, yall: :star_struck:

Article:

@uni.hue.lee became the first learner to successfully do the Dataquest Writers Challenge! :tada: They wrote an excellent article describing one of their personal projects - Coal-free Britain: How did they get there and what comes next?

Along with the rewards for Community Champions, Uni will also get one extra day of Dataquest for every like that their article gets. So, let’s help her get as much free time on the platform as possible!

(Check out this post to learn how you can participate in this challenge too!)

Guided Project:

@jithins123, @brayanopiyo18 and @Elena_Kosourova did a great job of giving actionable feedback to our learners who shared Guided Projects with us.

Alternate Solutions:

@eashwary shared a lot of alternate solutions to our exercise this week too. Check them out under the alternate-solution tag.

5 Likes