Anyone has read the Data Visualization book by Edward Tufte

I just take the course on data visualization in DataQuest.
It recommends a book called " The Visual Display of Quantitative Information" by Edward Tufte.
Anyone has read it?
Is it worth to buy it and how about the review?

It’s a good book to read if you are interested in visualization theory. Eg. How to succinctly convey max information with least ink. It doesn’t tell you how to use visualization programming libraries though. Personally i feel the time spent tweaking a matplotlib plot is better spent doing a lousier version of the plot and explaining it verbally or in writing. The best way i know of now for plotting is still plotly or simply df.plot. And when data gets too big to be plotted conventionally, you still need programming skills to break up the data. Spending 30mins learning streamlit helped me way more than the days on that book.

1 Like

Hi hanqi, for streamlit, do you mean the following library:

1 Like

Yes. Realized something implicit i did not make clear in my previous answer. My opinion is reading that book by tufte gives you the theory, and this theory helps you know how to layout subplots and tweak matplotlib, which i say is not time well spent.

Streamlit is very useful for you to explore datasets quickly by interactively adding, removing column/row filters, or filtering a certain particular/set of values in a column.

1 Like