Binary and Positional Number Systems

“For example, in a number like 234, the 2 represents the hundreds digit, the 3 the tenths digit and the 4 the units digit.”

I think you guys have tens and tenths confused. The ‘tens’ place is 2nd to the LEFT of a decimal, and tenths is first to the RIGHT of a decimal.

Edit:

Mission Link: https://app.dataquest.io/m/450/binary-and-positional-number-systems/2/the-decimal-number-system

According to this website:

The digit in the tens place is the second digit to the left of the decimal point.
The digit in the tenths place is the first digit to the right of the decimal place.

Please attach a mission link so we know which mission you are talking about.

Exactly!

In the stated example the 3 would be in the tens place, not the tenths.

Like I said earlier @55cmb55:

Here are the community guidelines. This is to help us verify whether the issue exists.

Sorry I thought you would see the edit in my original post.

Mission Link: https://app.dataquest.io/m/450/binary-and-positional-number-systems/2/the-decimal-number-system

Yup @55cmb55, I think there is an error on DQ’s side. Kindly fill up this ticket with the details of the error and the mission link.

Tenth place

Tenth place refers to the denominator 10 or 1/10 by fraction. Range of tenth place as follows:

0 < x < 9/10 = 0.9

Tenth place for base 10 numbers also can be refer as

10^{-1}

You can observe that tenth place also refer to digits to1st decimal place.

Hundredth place

Hundredth place refers to the denominator 100 or 1/100 by fraction. The range of hundredth place as follows:

0 < x < 0.09 = 9/100

Hundredth place for base 10 numbers also can be refer as

10^{-2}

You can observe that hundredth place also refer to digits to 2nd decimal place.

0.99 seconds can be read as 99 hundredth of a second.
99 hundredth of a second -> we know hundredth is divide by 100 -> 99/100 second

Thousandth place

Thousandth place refers to the denominator 1000 or 1/1000 by fraction. The range of thousandth place as follows:

0 < x < 0.009 = 9/1000

Thousandth place for base 10 numbers also can be refer as

10^{-3}

You can observe that thousandth place also refer to digits to 3rd decimal place.

0.589 seconds can be read as 589 thousandth of a second.

589 thousandth of a second -> we know thousandth is divide by 1000 -> 589/1000 second

Summary

When referring to a place for a number, you need to know what base the number is in.

For the above numbers, the base is 10.