Confusion on SQLite DB Browser Project

Hi all, I’ve just finished the Vehicle Sales project using SQLite DB browser and didn’t have a problem querying on the software, however I notice I am not able to view all the generated tables at once or on the same page as the Executed SQL. I noticed one of the posted guided projects is in .ipynb format and is able to do this. My question is A) How can I accomplish this in SQLite DB browser when trying to upload my project to my GitHub and/or B) How do I facilitate my SQL querying into .ipynb format so I am able to do so? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you for the consideration!

Hi @cchaltrades

I’m going to try to answer your questions

A) How can I accomplish this in SQLite DB browser when trying to upload my project to my GitHub

To upload on GitHub you can export your queries to txt and upload them into GitHub, then on the readme file you can insert screen captures of the results and explain what you did and your findings this resource can help you to understand how to do it (It also works with your second question)

B) How do I facilitate my SQL querying into .ipynb format so I am able to do so?

To do this you have to options, first using a connector and then creating a cursor to make SQL statements using python. It’s not complicated but it is tedious (And if you keep working with python it’s completely necessary to learn it). However Jupyter Notebook is magical and using %% commands you can use SQL statements, so what you have to do first is this

%%capture
%load_ext sql
%sql sqlite://

%%capture: allows you to avoid prints statements so you don’t get messages after the cell is executed.
%load_ext sql: loads the ipython-sql extension allowing you to run sql in your notebook
%sql sqlite://: Here is where you need to put the address of your db file, in example %sql sqlite:///stores.db

If you run this cell and get this output Connected: @Noneit means its working. Then in the next cells the first thing you need to put is %sql and then you can write your queries and get the same output you get in SQLite DB Browser

Hope this helps you, good luck

1 Like