Create Network Graph From Text Files

I am trying to build my skills off of what I am learning here in Dataquest to personal projects. I want to read in two txt files, one of IPv4 addresses, and the other of domains. I would like to create a graph to show correlation of the two files. Is this possible, or do I have to convert the addresses to strings?

Would it be easier to convert the text docs to a csv and read them in with Pandas? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Hey.

I’m having trouble understanding what you want to do. Can you provide small input examples and create the graph you want by hand or something?

Bruno,
Thank you for replying. I may be getting ahead of myself. I would like to read in a text file of domains (domains.txt) and create a bar graph of how many each appears. I understand commands to get this information would be to utilize unique() or value_counts(), but I would like to attempt this on data I have collected.

Down the road, I would like to create a graph from a CSV that contains domains (ex. google.com) and IPv4 addresses (8.8.8.8), and create a graph that correlates relationships between both.

I hope this is clearer. Again, thank you for replying.

It’s not clear to me what is that you’re having trouble with. I see two possible implied questions, but I don’t understand if any of them is a question you want to ask.

One question is “Programmatically, what steps, libraries and functions to I take to accomplish this?”; and the other is “What is a good way to visualize this data?”

To both questions I want to reply that it depends on the data. IPv4 addresses should be categorical variables. How many of them are there per domain? There could be just a few, but most likely hundreds or thousands I would say. In the latter case visualizing them “directly” shouldn’t be an option.

It’s hard to help without seeing the data. And I personally haven’t understood where your difficulties lie.