Data Analyst Resume/LinkedIn Question

Hi guys!

I just started applying for Data Analyst jobs in Seattle, and I really found one of the articles in the DataQuest newsletter really helpful. I’ve been trying to incorporate a lot of the tips in this article to my job search: https://blog.usejournal.com/how-i-got-7-job-offers-in-8-weeks-part-1-please-interview-me-21e6f4ded106

One of the tactics the author used to find a job was to SEO her LinkedIn by including keywords, and she included her projects under the “Experience” section on LinkedIn. This makes sense to me because after all, Data Science projects do give us experience even if we aren’t being paid to complete them.

I was just wondering what you guys think about this? Would it also be appropriate to list our projects as “Experience” on a resume as well? I feel tempted to try this, but at the same time, I don’t want to anger recruiters or mislead them in some way since I don’t have any “paid” experience as a Data Analyst.

I would love to hear your thoughts about this!

IMHO, you can include any projects in your profile that you did yourself and where you can explain what was done, how and why. At the end, it’s practical experience that matters most for recruiters / employers (not certificates).

3 Likes

I think it depends how you describe it-- if you say what the project was for/about it’s ethically sound. However, I think I would put all of my personal projects into one group headed as Data Analyst, Self-employed and then describe them. If you have a TON that you think should go in different ones (ie: Health Data Analyst, Financial AI Modeling, etc) that should probably work too, but I’d definitely hesitate to put each individual project as a separate “Experience”.