Data Science applied to military

Hello everyone,
Do you know any projects or courses of ML applied to military field?

1 Like

Hi @ajarra.ayoub,

I don’t think there will be a machine learning course or project dedicated to the military field that is accessible publically. However, you may be able to find courses and projects if you pick topics that may be of military interest. For example, if you look into Cybersecurity, you may find several books like this:

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
Sahil

Thank you a lot @Sahil , this must help, can you give me the link of the course please ?

Hey @ajarra.ayoub
I don’t have any specific courses to recommend but I do know of a very practical application of ML that is utilized in the military.

In that past there were a 2 x six person team running 12 hour shifts. Their role was to monitor track feeds of ships/vessels around the country’s economic zone on screen. Based on certain behavior they would flag the vessel as suspicious and call in the Navy or Air Force to intercept the vessel.

Now this process has been taken over by a ML system that uses Bayesian model/analysis to determine if the vessel is acting suspicious based on a few parameters and learned behavior. I am not a expert in ML to comment any further.

This has mean’t a reduction in manpower sitting there watching a screen. There are many other such uses of ML but generally classified.

Regards,

1 Like

@ajarra.ayoub I wish I could give you a good course that is easy to follow, however, if you don’t mind researching topics then CS 259D Data Mining for Cyber Security by Stanford University will give you a great outline on Machine Learning in Cyber Security.

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
Sahil