Do I need pre-requisites for 'Introduction to Indexing'?

Hello,
I just started on the ‘Intro to Indexing’ mission from the ‘Advance SQL for Data Analysis’ and I was wondering when we learned any of this stuff (example below)? What is the order I’m supposed to follow here? I’m on step 4 course 3 and in it, it says ‘If i need a refresher I should head to Algorithms mission,’ a mission btw that is in step 8 course 2. Am i not supposed to follow the course structure? If not, what structure am I supposed to follow?

https://app.dataquest.io/m/116/introduction-to-indexing/

EXAMPLE:
On slide 1 we get this PRAGMA function that I was expected to know even though I’ve never heard of it.
Then O(log N) time complexity or whatever that is was introduced and explained on the slide after with assumption of previous knowledge.
I just don’t understand this mission whatsoever.

1 Like

Oh wow, you are right. They have the order pretty messed up.

They have this content which does seem to require some prerequisites in the Data Analysis Path, but their Data Structures and Algorithms content is in the Data Science Path. This is, unfortunately, a side-effect of having a modular course design. But hopefully they can provide an answer.

@Sahil could you, or one of the content authors, please help understand what course order to follow here? This is not that easy to understand and navigate.

2 Likes

Hi @RayOjel,

Sorry about that! I will inform the content team to take the appropriate steps to correct this issue. In my opinion we can take out the reference of time complexity from this mission entirely. As none of the instructions in this mission rely on the knowledge of time complexity.

This video explains how binary search works.

Perhaps, all we need to do is link to a video or article that talks about binary search without diving into time complexity or any other unnecessary complexities :sweat_smile:.

Best,
Sahil

Thank you for your response. I can see that being a better option as that’s how it worked in previous missions. But so I don’t need to know this to finish and understand the mission?

1 Like

Yes, you don’t need to know about it. Because even the next mission (last in the course) doesn’t talk about time complexity.

Best,
Sahil