Dont understand code of remove duplicate step

Hi! can someone help interpre below code for removal of duplicate data? I dont understand if statement,n_reviews is a float number, how can reviews_max[name] compare with it? I think the element in reviews_max is the name of each app. and i don’t know what elif caluse for …

for app in android:
name = app[0]
n_reviews = float(app[3])

if name in reviews_max and reviews_max[name] < n_reviews: (
    reviews_max[name] = n_reviews

elif name not in reviews_max:
    reviews_max[name] = n_reviews

I dont understand if statement,n_reviews is a float number, how can reviews_max[name] compare with it?

reviews_max is a dictionary. Dictionaries store key: value pairs in them.

The keys in reviews_max are the names of each map. And the value associated to each key is the number of reviews for the corresponding app (n_reviews).

So, in the if condition, you perform the following steps -

• If a particular app’s name is already stored as a key in reviews_max, and if the value corresponding to that key in the dictionary is less than n_reviews, you

• Replace the value corresponding to that key with n_reviews.
  • Else, if that particular app’s name is not stored in the dictionary, you

• Create that key: value pair in reviews_max

If the above is still unclear, I would recommend going through the Missions where dictionaries are taught again. It should start making sense over time.

I found that piece of code quite complex too. See below how I broke it down.

If the name is not in review_max dictionary, create a new name. If it is in review_max dictionary (the Else statement), check if n_reviews is greater than the one already stored in review_max dictionary (the If statement inside the Else statement). If it is, then change the old one for the new one.

if name not in review_max:
    review_max[name] = n_reviews

else:
    if n_reviews > review_max[name]:
        review_max[name] = n_reviews