Error converting and remaning columns

Screen Link:
https://app.dataquest.io/m/294/guided-project%3A-exploring-ebay-car-sales-data/3/initial-exploration-and-cleaning

My Code:
autos[“price”] = autos[“price”].str.replace("$","").str.replace(",","").astype(int)

Replace this line with your code

What I expected to happen:
i want to replace $ and , with an empty string and also change the datatype

What actually happened:
AttributeError: Can only use .str accessor with string values, which use np.object_ dtype in pandas

Replace this line with the output/error
error occured when i'm trying to rename the column using .map, therefore i end up using rename which was stressful

The error states that your column does not contain strings. Did you perform any actions on this column before? Because it should contain strings.

To check the values and the type of the values in this column, run the following commands in two different cells:

autos["price"].value_counts(dropna=False)
autos["price"].dtypes

THANK SIR, THE DATA TYPE IS OBJECT THAT IS STRING, I AM STILL GETTING THE ERROR BELOW.
AttributeError: Can only use .str accessor with string values, which use np.object_ dtype in pandas

THANKS.

Can you share the outputs of the code I asked you to run?

In Kernel tab, you may restart & run all. You may already modify the column and then run it again resulting in errors.

Same happened with me, if you are using DQ Jupyter, try to Retsart/Run All from the Kernel tab