Failed to Start The Kernel

Screen Link:
https://app.dataquest.io/m/349/project%3A-learn-and-install-jupyter-notebook/9/opening-and-closing-a-notebook-file

My Code:

Replace this line with your code

What I expected to happen:

What actually happened:

Replace this line with the output/error

I updated my Mac IOS software and was forced to redownloan anaconda and python. But now when I try to use Jupiter notebook, it says “kernel error-failed to start the kernel”. Without Jupyter, I literally can’t do entire lessons within the program. Please see the entire error message is shown below:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tornado/web.py”, line 1699, in _execute
result = await result
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tornado/gen.py”, line 742, in run
yielded = self.gen.throw(*exc_info) # type: ignore
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/notebook/services/sessions/handlers.py”, line 72, in post
type=mtype))
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tornado/gen.py”, line 735, in run
value = future.result()
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tornado/gen.py”, line 742, in run
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/notebook/services/sessions/sessionmanager.py”, line 88, in create_session
kernel_id = yield self.start_kernel_for_session(session_id, path, name, type, kernel_name)
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tornado/gen.py”, line 735, in run
value = future.result()
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/notebook/services/sessions/sessionmanager.py”, line 101, in start_kernel_for_session
self.kernel_manager.start_kernel(path=kernel_path, kernel_name=kernel_name)
value = future.result()
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/tornado/gen.py”, line 209, in wrapper
yielded = next(result)
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/notebook/services/kernels/kernelmanager.py”, line 168, in start_kernel
super(MappingKernelManager, self).start_kernel(**kwargs)
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jupyter_client/multikernelmanager.py”, line 110, in start_kernel
km.start_kernel(**kwargs)
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jupyter_client/manager.py”, line 259, in start_kernel
**kw)
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jupyter_client/manager.py”, line 204, in _launch_kernel
return launch_kernel(kernel_cmd, **kw)
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/jupyter_client/launcher.py”, line 138, in launch_kernel
proc = Popen(cmd, **kwargs)
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py”, line 800, in init
restore_signals, start_new_session)
File “/Users/gregorybrown/opt/anaconda3/lib/python3.7/subprocess.py”, line 1551, in _execute_child
raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘/anaconda3/bin/python’: ‘/anaconda3/bin/python’

hey @greg5802

I am not sure how much this gonna help you and I don’t use mac :neutral_face:

I googled the last part of the error trace, and these are some of the posts I found.

@greg5802 - This happens.

Google around and find the answer with the specific error code. Worst case scenario, remove Jupyter Notebook and re-install via Anaconda’s GUI.

Run either of these to remove JN into your terminal.
Go to the spotlight search magnifying glass at the top right of your mac and type ‘terminal’.

pip uninstall jupyter
pip3 uninstall jupyter

to install then run these:

conda install -c conda-forge jupyterlab
pip install jupyterlab