Feedback on guided project: Star Wars survey

Hi community members,

I’d appreciate any feedback that you may have on my guided project for the Star Wars survey mission.

In particular, I’d appreciate any feedback on the extra analysis that I did on questions 4-6.

  • Are there more efficient ways that could have achieved the same results?
  • Did I approach the graphing in a sensible way, i.e. could I have got the same (or better results) in a neater way?

Guided_Project_8_Vivek.ipynb (543.5 KB)

Particular thanks to @Elena_Kosourova and @sabritrabelsi90 for their amazing guided projects, looking through both of their projects helped me when I got stuck on matplotlib.
Their projects are here and here.

Many thanks for your help and have a good Christmas :santa:

Vivek

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

2 Likes

Hi Vivek,

Thank you for your kind words! I’m very glad that my project was helpful! Especially because yours looks a great job: perfectly structured, very well-commented, exhaustive and coherent storytelling, interesting and eye-catching title (only that, probably, it’s better to remove the dot at the end). The visualizations are amazing (my favourite one is the graph on the most controversial characters), with emphasizing the bars of interest and good choice of color palette. It was a cool idea to add the link on the article about Jar Jar Binks and why he is disliked by many viewers; also, the reasonings behind Han Solo being a favourite character are quite solid. In addition, very good remark in the conclusion, about what the further Star Wars movies would look like in terms of their popularity.

About the last 3 questions of the project, from my point of view, your approach technically is very efficient and comprehensive, including the visualizations, as I said. Personally, I can’t see where and why it can be modified. Instead, here are some suggestions from my side, mostly about some details and cosmetics:

  • It’s better to re-run the whole project after having finished it, in order to have all the cells in order, starting from 1.
  • For the sake of consistency, it’s better to use uniform quote marks for the string type of data throughout the project (or only single, or only double quote marks).
  • For the last 3 questions (Q4, Q5 and Q6), you forgot to add the corresponding numbers of questions in the subheadings.
  • The code cells [104] and [105]: it’s better to rename the variables bool to avoid confusion, since bool is a data type in Python.
  • The code cell [106]. You should pass these two arguments in reset_index():
star_wars.reset_index(drop=True, inplace=True)

Then the old index will be dropped and the new one will start from 0…

  • The code cells [109], [111], [114]. Here a FutureWarning happened, even though the graphs, thankfully, are shown anyway. It seems to be a version issue of the DQ platform. You can refer to this discussion about how to resolve it.
  • I would remove the code cell [113], it repeats the information from the cell above.
  • The code cell [119] also should be removed (some draft code commented out).
  • Probably it’s better to increase the graph titles, especially for the graphs [123] and [134].
  • The code cells [124], [128], [130]. I would add print('\n'), right as you did for some previous similar cases.

Once again, great project, well done! Good luck with your future projects and keep this high level! :star_struck:

Merry Christmas! :christmas_tree: :sparkles:

1 Like

Hi Elena,

Thanks for your feedback! Your detailed comments are really helpful, and I’ll make sure to update the project. The link to the discussion about the FutureWarning is helpful, I was confused by that error message!

Merry Christmas :sparkler:

Vivek

1 Like

Hello Vivek,
Sorry for responding late, I haven’t logged in for a while.
I’m so glad you found my guided project useful.
I checked your work and you did a great job, I liked the structure of your analysis and your charts look very informative and concise, I like them.
Keep up the good work.