Files for problem don't seem to be present in Changing Ownership mission

I’m trying to answer the question in Users and Permissions, 9. Changing Ownership, and it seems that the files pertaining to the question, file1, file2 and file3, are not in the directory.

If I just run the solution, I’ll get the right answer (obviously):

But the files themselves aren’t in the directory:
S3.C1.M5.s9.Answer2

If I try to find file1, file2 or file3, I run:
S3.C1.M5.s9.Answer3

On the basis of this result, I’d conclude that the paths to file1, file2 and file3 are:

/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/node_modules/tar-fs/test/fixtures/d/file1
/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/node_modules/tar-fs/test/fixtures/d/file2

and

/usr/local/lib/node_modules/bower/lib/node_modules/tar-fs/test/fixtures/d/sub-files/file3

respectively, so, based on this, I figured that I should go to the directories that contain file1, file2 and file3 find the answers to the question. file1 and file2 seem to be in the same directory:

So it would seem that the answers so far are:

Filename User Group
file1 nobody root
file2 nobody root

Now, similarly for file3, I’ll do cd to go to its directory and ls -la to see that directory’s contents:

It would seem that file3 has the same user and group names as file1 and file2nobody and root, respectively, which means that the answers are:

Filename User Group
file1 nobody root
file2 nobody root
file3 nobody root

These aren’t the answers accepted by the system, answer dq dataquest dq root learn learn, as shown above. I can demonstrate this by restarting the terminal session and trying to enter those answers. If I do, I won’t get the “Nice Work! Next Screen >” message:

Is there something wrong with the system or did I not understand something central to the lesson?

Hmm… this is confusing me as well when I go through it. @Sahil could you please shed some light on this? Seems like something was changed on the platform?

Good digging @quinones, by the way! Hopefully get an official answer soon, but there seems to have been some change on their end.

1 Like

Hi @quinones,

file1, file2, and file3 do not exist. Here we are supposed to find the answer based on this data provided in the learning section:

The output of the last command confirms that the changes occurred as we expected:

total 0
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dq   dataquest 0 mar 26 23:35 file1
-rw-rw-r-- 1 dq   learn     0 mar 26 23:35 file2
-rw-rw-r-- 1 learn dataquest 0 mar 26 23:35 file3 

However, I agree that the instruction is not very clear on that. I will get it logged. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Best,
Sahil

3 Likes

Hi @Sahil. I agree that maybe rewriting the instructions would be helpful. Thank you for clarifying.

1 Like

Thanks, @the_doctor, for looking into this and passing it along.

1 Like

If thats the case shouldnt the answer be:

Mine: answer dq dataquest dq learn learn dataquest?

Why is the answer provided: answer dq dataquest dq root learn learn

Hi @chaangallison. If you take a look at the following screenshot from the lesson, you’ll see how the owner and group were changed for each file:

For file1, both the owner, dq, and group, dataquest, stayed the same. For file2, the owner changed from dq to dq (so it stayed the same, really), and the group changed from learn to root. For file3, the owner, learn, was unchanged and the group was changed from dataquest to learn.

So, in the end the solution is:

answer dq dataquest dq root learn learn
1 Like