First time submitting a guided project: Visualizing the Gender Gap in College Degrees

Hello! This is my first time posting to the Dataquest community. I’ve seen the excellent work other students have submitted and been impressed by the thoughtful feedback people have offered. I decided it was time to take a risk and ask for some feedback on my own work. Please let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Hannah

GenderGapDegrees_to_submit.ipynb (205.6 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

4 Likes

Hi @hannah.jensen,

Overall you have done a good job. Your project has almost all the features that a good project should have. I really like your conclusions as you have explained gaps and trends in very descriptive but simple manner.
In 3rd set of codes you have added meaning full comments to explain your codes and I didn’t see it in 2nd set of codes. However it is better if you could add that kind of comments for 2nd set of codes as well.
Good work. Keep it up.
Cheers
Scylla

1 Like

Hello @hannah.jensen! You did a great job of sharing your work :blush:

It’s very well made and organized.

Here is some feedback:

• Well done on introducing the data you worked with! You als o did some background search to understand what the world is talking about the gender gap in STEM. It’s a good habit for every data analysis (especially if you are not an expert in a field).
  • As @Scylla pointed out you have no comments in the second code block. Why not adding them?
  • Well done on your conclusions! You did an real-world data analyst job. However, you can improve your conclusions by bolding the most improtant results or also use italics to distinguish the categories from everything else.
    You should look at how it influences the readability of you text. Remember that you know the results so it’s easy for you to understand the conclusions but for someone who reads them for the first time it may be more difficult. For me it was fairly easy to udnerstand the text but I propose to improve their style.

Happy coding :blush:

1 Like

Hi, @Scylla and @artur.sannikov96. Thank you both very much for commenting on my guided project! I really appreciate your suggestions and have incorporated them into this second version of the gender gap analysis. This version includes comments in the second code section and incorporates both bold and italic text into the conclusion sections for both STEM and non-STEM fields.

GenderGapDegrees_to_submit_v2.ipynb (206.5 KB)

Thanks again,
Hannah

4 Likes

Hey! Now it’s better. For the reader, it should be clearer now that women slowly gain success in many fields as I can see from the conclusions.

1 Like