Formatting the date as per instructions doesnt work in Guided Project

https://app.dataquest.io/c/122/m/692/guided-project%3A-modeling-data-in-power-bi/3/clean-the-dataset

I just tried to change the text to date type after matching the format but then the date is of type mm-dd-yyyy and not dd-mm-yyyy as per notes. Is it the true that powerbi cant convert the mm-dd-yyyy without running into errors? I saw some workaround in google but its long winded

Hi. Did you figure it out?
Changing the format to “Date” causes errors in the cells.
Replacing the “/” with “-” doesn’t mend the problem, as you can’t change the format of the column to “Date”. When I do so, I get this:
“DataFormat.Error: We couldn’t parse the input provided as a Date value.
Details:
11-14-2013”

What worked for me was to right click the date column → change type → using locale

Then adjust the locale and data type here.

1 Like

I’m interested to hear how this differs among users, because for me it automatically applied the change when I imported it into PBI from my desktop. It is a step that I can delete, but it definitely isn’t one that I made myself.

I’m using the desktop version that I downloaded from the Microsoft store, I wonder if that changes anything?

I am using the online version, and the same thing happened to me. Probably the dataset has changed, or PowerBI is more automated. The date was automatically changed for me.

Hey Everyone!

A bit late to the party, but yes something fishy here. The file seems to automatically take the data type for this column as the date when loaded or taken for transformation.

Other than that anyone else noticed, that the header row is actually the second row in the file. So we first need to move it up as the top most row and then convert it into a header row?

I downloaded the same dataset from the MS website or github, and the instructions are kind of valid for that file. Anyone else tried this?

I followed this to deal with the headers issue Solved: Promote headers from a specific row - Microsoft Power BI Community

For the data type thing, I changed it using locale, and that fixed the error

1 Like

@HieuVu Thanks for the info. Welcome to DQ Community!

1 Like

Hey there, I’m having trouble with Progress for a single screen isn’t logged no matter what I do. I already followed steps in https://support.dataquest.io/en/articles/146-i-thought-i-completed-a-lesson-course-but-it-s-showing-as-incomplete#progress-delaying-on-dashboard but it still doesn’t fix the problem. It’s pretty frustrated as I should be able to claim the course certificate already if it wasn’t for this bug. Do you have any suggestion on what I can do? Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Hi @HieuVu,

It seems to be an issue with the platform. Could you please report it to the Technical Support Team of Dataquest? Just click the ? button in the upper-right corner of the platform screen where you detected this issue, click Report an Issue, describe the problem, and send the ticket. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Elena,

I already sent the ticket and reported the bug. I’m asking if they can issue me the certificate of completion, as I technically completed the course. Hopefully they can, since the course is unlocked for free at the moment, but I guess will be locked by the end of this week.

1 Like

@HieuVu,

Of course, they’ll issue to you the certificate, no worries about that. Please, do the following steps: click the ? button in the upper-right corner of any screen of the Dataquest learning platform, select Message Us, describe your issue, select the relevant category, and send the message. Thanks!

1 Like

I already sent them the ticket, Account Issues category, with relevant screenshots. Thanks a lot Elena!

1 Like

Ah, great, then no problem at all! Even if the free time is finished by the end of the week, the certificate will be sent to you in any case :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes