31 Years of Python | 48 Hour Sale Extension!!!
days
hours
minutes
seconds

General Question about the first helicopter escapes guided project

Screen Link:

My Code: <!for row in data:
data[index] = row[:-1]
index += 1>

No code, but general question

What I expected to happen:
for row in data:
data[index] = row[:-1]
index += 1

What actually happened:
stuck understanding the indexing

Replace this line with the output/error
Hi Guys, I failed to answer the questions without look at the solutions and had to reverse engineer my understanding of the code. I think that only takes you so far. Once I'm done with the guided project, should I go back to earlier lessons before the project and redo them, and then redo the guided project, or should I move on to the next phase and come back to this helicopter escapes guided project later. I wonder if the concepts will just "click" for me at some point because I really struggled with this guided project without looking at the solutions. I just struggled with writing the code for a majority of the questions on the guided project. I did slightly better in the guided lessons but made some mistakes there as well and had to look at the solutions, so maybe I didn't fully comprehend what I learned. I'm really impatient and just want to move on to the next phase of the curriculum, and just come back to earlier lessons to reference solutions and the earlier lessons to save time and make progress.

Apologies if I posted this question in the wrong place. I didn’t know where to ask it.

Hi @kunal.shukla285

I can understand your situation. When starting to learn we all feel frustrated when we get stuck and we feel restless when we don’t move forward to more interesting things ahead. I think it is part of the process. So don’t get disheartened.

Regarding guided project, it is a guided project for a reason. No one is expecting you to know how to solve it right after the lessons, hence the guidance. And these are a little bit more complex than the practice problems in the lesson screens so once you finally get it right, you will have a better understanding of the concepts that you’ve just learned. So getting stuck, looking at the solution or searching online for more assistance are all part of learning. Even if you look at the solution, you’re learning something during the process. So its all good.

Now if you are looking for suggestion wether to redo the lessons or to move forward, it depends on your understanding of the concepts and learning strategy, I’d say. If some of the basic concepts are still unclear to you, maybe you want to quickly go through the lessons again because they will be used again in the coming lessons. On the other hand, if you decide to move forward, you will come across more places where these concepts are used and you may get a better understanding. So its all depends on your situation. There is no right or wrong answer here.

Keeping the motivation alive is the key. If going forward helps you with that, do it. But if you felt impatient again while doing it, that might not help. So understand that you’re not alone. It is normal to feel this way when learning something new. Just keep at it.

Also, the DQ community is here to help you. If you have any specific doubts regarding indexing or anything similar, do ask questions here and someone will help you out. Following this guide will help you get faster answers. Good luck. Guidelines for asking a technical question in our Community - Announcements & Guidelines - Dataquest Community

1 Like

Thank you @jithins123!In order to keep my motivation alive, I’ll keep moving forward and keep referencing the past lessons to augment my learning.

1 Like