Goal Setting — What’s your goal?

:eyes: TL;DR
Committing time daily towards a goal that is specific, time-bound, and challenging will increase your chances of achieving that goal. Your chances increase further by committing to your goals publicly. Share your goals for learning data science with your peers below!

:sparkles: Read on if you want to know more about setting goals :sparkles:

What is Goal Setting?

Traveling can be exciting. But if we don’t have a final destination, we may wonder: Where am I going?

Not having a destination in mind can also cause us to be distracted; we will wander around chasing everything that catches our eye until we realize we’ve wasted time. Similar to having a final destination, it is essential to have goals.

Let me ask you this question: why do you want to learn data science?

Thinking about this question will help us understand the reason we’re learning, and help us work towards achieving our goals. Goals provide us a reason to be motivated, a reason to be focused, and ensures we will stay on track!

Benefits of Goal Setting

1. Goals help us to be motivated
  2. Goals can prevent distractions
  3. Goals can show our growth
  4. Goals can give us an estimated time of completion
  5. Proper breakdown of goals can make complex tasks simple
  6. Succeeding to complete a goal can boost our confidence
  7. Failing to achieve a goal can show us our current capability

Prerequisites of Goal Setting

Commitment Setting goals is easy. But if we lack commitment to our goals, we would lack the motivation to reach those goals.

Attainability We must believe that we can attain or partially achieve our goal. If we won't, it's likely we won't try.

Self-Efficacy Self-Efficacy refers to the ability to exert control over our motivation, behavior, and social environment to deal with a situation without being overwhelmed. The higher our self-efficacy for a specific task, the likelier it is that we will set higher goals, and the more persistence we will show in achieving them.

How to Set Goals Correctly?

You Know ‘Why’

It is essential to know the why behind our goal, which will help increase our commitment to it - especially for goals that are long-term. Make sure to remind yourself of the ‘why’ occasionally.

Be Specific

Having specific goals increase task performance. For example, ‘I will complete the Data Scientist In Python path in 12 months’ vs ‘I will learn data science through Dataquest’. Specific goals will allow you to measure your progress.

Have Short Term Milestones

While completing the Data Scientist In Python path in 12 months can be seen as a realistic goal, it is a long term goal. So, the chance of us losing motivation early on is very high.

Having smaller milestones towards our goals will ensure we can stay motivated. For example, ‘I will complete step 1 of Data Scientist In Python path by the end of this month’, ‘I will complete the first course in step 1 in 2 weeks’, ‘I will complete two missions this week,’ etc.

Make it Challenging

When goals are easily within our reach, we don’t have to put in much effort, and they become less valuable to us. For example, picking the apple at the bottom of the tree isn’t as valuable as reaching the crisp apples at the top.

The more challenging the goal, the more effort we will put into it, and the more value we will gain from it. However, there is a catch here! If the challenge is unrealistically high, it will result in little, if any, effort directed toward its achievement.

Let’s do 100,000 pushups a day to stay fit!

Contradictory suggestion :point_up_2:

Pursue Your Goal Daily

To prevent drifting away from our goals, we have to make sure that we are pursuing them daily. Even small steps toward your goal, like completing a mission screen or reviewing your solution code to improve it, will do the trick.

Bonus Tip: Use Reminder Habits Habits from our daily routine can help us to create new habits. For example, 'I will read the newspaper for 30 minutes every day after I brush my teeth'. Here, brushing your teeth is a habit that you can rely on to remind you to perform a new task. Regularly doing tasks after your habit will help you build them into your routine easily and reliably. In the same way, we can use our habits to learn data science every day. For example: 'I will learn data science from Dataquest for at least 30 minutes every day after having dinner'.

Conclusion

If we can commit time daily towards a goal that is specific, time-bound, and challenging, it will increase our chances of achieving that goal. And if we post our goals publicly, we’ll become more accountable (and motivated) to achieving them.

I’d love to know the why behind your decision to learn data science! Share your goals with me and your peers below :point_down:

10 Likes

here is my goal
want to complete data science path by understanding concepts before December end,

For which have set my goal as on each sunday will practice ds for 4 hours on DQ

5 Likes

That’s a great goal @vinodgchandaliya. The Community can’t wait to see you reach your goal!

2 Likes

My goal is to switch careers and become a data engineer before my 30th bday. To achieve this goal I plan to learn/study/implement the data science skills that I will learn from Dataquest daily.

5 Likes

My goal is to change my career while I’m in school. I want to learn Data science little by little to compliment my eventual degree in business. It will be a long shot but I believe that I can do it with some careful planning and reaching certain milestones along the way.

4 Likes

My long term goal is to switch careers to Data Engineering and to achieve this by 4th quarter 2021.
My short term goal is to master Data Science and start taking on sole projects before December 25, 2020
I intend to achieve these by taking on new related courses studying and practicing at least 3 hours daily for 6 days a week.

4 Likes

Hi @Tosin, It’s exciting to hear what you’re reaching towards! We’d love to know when you’ve reached your goals. Don’t forget to share that with us - we’d love to celebrate with you!

1 Like

Hi @jeanc282930, This is awesome - thanks for sharing this! We hope we can help you reach your goals here. If you ever get stuck while you’re learning, feel free to search through our Community for an answer, or create a new topic!

1 Like

Hi @ibierejohn, I love that your goal is so specific! We’d love to celebrate with you when you’ve achieved it!

1 Like

Right now I can only use basic classical statistical methods. My goal is to be able to use the basics of statistical machine learning in the field of business within three months.

2 Likes

change my career to be data engineer then i can get into AI & start up world.
i graduated in mechatronics engineer but now i stuck in terrible job, it’s under engineer degree job. because i can’t get a nice job with big company. i want change my life and get more money to carry my family.

2 Likes

This is great - I can’t wait to see you reach your goals!

Hi @dragonmce,

Sorry to hear that. But I am sure that you will achieve your dream job. We have a lot of students who have found success after learning from us.

Here are some of our student success stories:

If you ever get stuck while you’re learning, feel free to search through our Community for an answer, or create a new topic!

My goal is to switch my career and become a Data Scientist by Q4 2021.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your goal — we’d love to see you achieve them!

1 Like

Data Science seems to hold so much future, I am aspiring to become a renowned data analyst.

2 Likes

@obodozie95, This is great - I can’t wait to see you reach your goals!

My goal is to complete data science and understand all the concepts before March 2021. This is to add knowledge to my undergoing degree in Statistics and Information Technology.
I have set my goals for 2 hours each day to study ds on DQ

2 Likes

To advance my knowledge in data analysis

2 Likes