'googleplaystore.csv' is not available for "App Profiles for the App Store and Google Play Markets" project

Are the ‘googleplaystore.csv’ and ‘AppleStore.csv’ files supposed to be accessible to us in the Data Science track?

my first three lines of code are:

from csv import reader
google_file = open(‘googleplaystore.csv’)
apple_file = open(‘AppleStore.csv’)

I then get an error telling me that there is no such file.

FileNotFoundError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
3 from csv import reader
4 #google_file = open(‘googleplaystore.csv’)
----> 5 apple_file = open(‘AppleStore.csv’)
6 g_data = list(read_google)
7 a_data = list(read_apple)

FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘AppleStore.csv’

**Is it expected that I upload the data on my own? **
Thanks for the help!

Hi @zpolitz and welcome to the community!

You are correct, googleplaystore.csv and AppleStore.csv are supposed to be fully accessible to us and we don’t need to upload the files manually. Just as a friendly reminder, please include a link to the lesson you’re working on so that others can easily get more context to help you.

Link to associated Guided Project

When I try this link, your code works without error and I’m able to open both of these files to view their data. It looks like the error you experienced was only for the ios data; did google_file load correctly for you? What happens when you try this code:

opened_file = open('AppleStore.csv')
read_file = reader(opened_file)
ios_data = list(read_file)

Both files failed to load for me.

What happens when you try the code above?

It ran as expected! I ran google’s as well, which also worked. Thank you!

Could the issue have been my network?

1 Like

It could have been a glitch with Jupyter Notebook itself; did you reload the page since you experienced the error? If you ever experience something like this again, I would try running Restart & Run All under the Kernel menu to see if that fixes it.

Another silly thing I noticed but don’t think it had anything to do with your error here but is good to know, is that your code above has “curly apostrophes” (they look like this: instead of “straight apostrophes” that look like this: ' ) Those curly ones definitely cause problems in Jupyter Notebook.

Any in case, I’m glad you got it working and can continue with the guided project. Good luck and happy learning!

If you have any other problems, the community is always here to help :smile:

1 Like