Guided Project 1 - Slide 5, Need further explanation, stumped

Hello,

This is my first time posting, let me know if there are better ways for me to go about this. I have started Dataquest with a little coding background (I went through Python Crash Course by Eric Matthes earlier this year).

I am on slide 5 of the first guided project in Removing Duplicate Entries: Part Two, I am having a hard time trying to write specifically what this code means and what it does. Right now it is not something I am understanding by looking at it and the context.

reviews_max = {}

for app in google:
name = app[0]
n_reviews = float(app[3])

if name in reviews_max and reviews_max[name] < n_reviews:
    reviews_max[name] = n_reviews

elif name not in reviews_max:
    reviews_max[name] = n_reviews

We are looping through the Google data set (without the header) and have created a dictionary (reviews_max) and singling out two keys (name and n_reviews). The if statement is looking if name is already in reviews_max but also checking to see if the number of reviews in reviews_max is less than the number of reviews of the specific name in the Google data set? If not, then that is not a duplicate and should be thrown into reviews_max. (This is one I need help with, I tried bolding it)

android_clean =
already_added =

for app in google:
name = app[0]
n_reviews = float(app[3])

if (reviews_max[name] == n_reviews) and (name not in already_added):
    android_clean.append(app)
    already_added.append(name)

Then for this we created two lists. I understand, from the solutions, that there could be duplicates of apps with the same number of the highest reviews. I cannot figure out why you append (app) to android_clean and (name) to already_added.

Maybe I am thinking too hard but I am stumped with this, I guess I am hoping someone can explain what reviews_max[name] < n_reviews means as well as the two appends.

Thank you so much,

Kevin

Please include the link to the Mission Step that you are referring to in your post as well. That helps provide additional context and someone can answer your question accordingly.

I would also recommend formatting your post details again so that your code lies inside of the appropriate code blocks.