Guided Project 2: Exploring Hacker News data -- Feedback wanted!

Hi everyone! I just finished Guided Project #2, where we dug into the Hacker News dataset to compare Ask HN and Show HN posts. I did the recommended extra steps to also extend the analysis to points in addition to the guided comments analysis. Based on feedback from my first project, I tried to add more information in the introduction as well as adding more comments in my code.

I’m still pretty new to using Jupyter Notebooks, so I’d love feedback on the flow of information and if my project is readable. And of course, any other feedback is welcome!

I also felt like this project was a little easier than the first Guide Project, likely from the lack of data cleaning, which I thought was interesting–anyone else feel that way?

Basics.ipynb (38.8 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

3 Likes

Hi @clarissa.s.gutierrez,

This is probably one of the most detailed Exploring Hacker News guided project I’ve seen. You have really gone the extra mile and done a great job. The way you structured it looks good, the markdown cells are also looks great. You have also used the string formatting quite nicely in many places. The only suggestion I have is that, you could have added ‘EST’ to the string formatting You have created some functions too to do the repeated tasks quite quickly. Altogether it is a great project. Keep up the great work. Happy learning.

2 Likes

Hi @clarissa.s.gutierrez

Congratulations for having completed the second project on Exploring hacker News. Just as mentioned by @jithins123, this project is just on another level and thumbs up for that.

clarissa.s.gutierrez
I’m still pretty new to using Jupyter Notebooks, so I’d love feedback on the flow of information and if my project is readable. And of course, any other feedback is welcome!

The introduction, use of markdown cell , your conclusion all is well presented making the whole project readable. However, you have hardly used the comments in your last 7 code cells, hope will consider that in your upcoming projects.

clarissa.s.gutierrez
I also felt like this project was a little easier than the first Guide Project, likely from the lack of data cleaning, which I thought was interesting–anyone else feel that way?

I totally agree with you, the second project is a little easy compared to the first one. Though there could be many reasons , but I think one of the reasons, is to the fact that , in the first project, one is required to explore on the two datasets and consider both the outputs to give out substantial explanations.

Happy learning!

1 Like

Hi @jithins123 – Thank you for the compliments! I did try to put more effort cleaning up this project; glad it paid off!

That is a very good idea to add ‘EST’ to the string formatting; I added it in the Markdown cells in my explanations, but adding it to my print output would have added clarity.

Happy learning!

Hi @brayanopiyo18 – thanks for the compliments! I definitely did spend more time this time around cleaning it up.

That is a good point to continue to push on using more comments in the code cells. I tried to focus on adding comments in my earlier cells where I made the functions, but I could have also made sure to add more clarifying comments in the last 7 code cells, like you mentioned. Are there specific rules of thumbs I should keep in mind for in-line comments in the future? It looks like more clarity the better, but I’m worried about over-commenting as well.

Thanks for your continued reviews + feedback!

1 Like