Guided Project 2 : Hacker News Post : A story Version

Hi everyone,

Last week I shared my first guided project and during that time I was inspired by a couple of fellow self-learners from their unique approach to the projects. They blending a storyline along with the project goals. I immediately liked the idea and I wanted to try it.

So I tried that approach on this guided project. I would like to know from the experienced ones that if this approach made any sense or if it had diluted the purpose of data analysis.

I’d also love to know if there are any elements that I can improve on this project. Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks to @frencielanggi02 and @bounski for the inspiration.

mission screen of the Guided Project

P2_Exploring Hacker News Posts.ipynb (37.6 KB)

Thanks and regards
Jithin

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

9 Likes

Hi @jithins123!

I read your whole project and overall it was really fun to read! I could feel that you were also having fun while doing this project and it really reflected on the narratives and conclusion. And the story about your friend and all really strengthen and emphasized a clear goal of this project, so it was really great.

I found your idea of using count = 0 variable to limit the printed titles to 10 very creative and educative for me. But, I counted the titles, and it was 11 instead of 10, :joy: so I think you should’ve limited it to count < 10 instead.

And then, this part: I don’t know if this is what you mean by printing the variable name used, but maybe this is a way to do it?? I hope so.

def indexer(dataset_header, variable_name):        
    index=0
    print("Index of {}".format(variable_name))                  
    for column_name in dataset_header:     
        print(index, ' : ', column_name)    
        index+=1
    print('\n')

indexer(hn_header)

Thank you for the mention and I’m very happy as well to be able to motivate others! Keep on doing your best in the next projects as well and stay motivated! :blush:

2 Likes

Hey @frencielanggi02,

Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. You have definitely gone quite deep through the project! Well, glad you liked the idea of using a count variable. Earlier I had a longer code, but then @201812311 suggested that I can do it in a better way with single line of code. But I should have made sure it prints only loops for 10 times! Thank you for pointing that out. I will update the code.

def indexer(dataset_header, variable_name):        
index=0
print("Index of {}".format(variable_name))                  
for column_name in dataset_header:     
    print(index, ' : ', column_name)    
    index+=1
print('\n')

indexer(hn_header)

Here, this piece of code was actually written for the first guided project, Profitable app profile. If you remember, we used two data set, one for iOS and one for Google apps. So I wanted it to print "Index of google_apps_header and index of ios_app_header. I was thinking if there is any way the name of the list itself can return it. But I think what you suggested is a good way to print the same. I will update this as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to go through the project and to give me such a detailed and informative feedback. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Cogratulations on completing your project! I think this is what it means when they say “Storytelling with Data!”.

I did a quick run through of your project and I noticed that you worked with datetime data just an advice that HackerNews has user around the world and it will be helpful to include what timezones are the time and date that you displayed, also you may want to include several timezone for the sake of your audience :). I already did this and if you want, I can post my code on how I did it.

Thanks for the mention btw :smiley:
Happy Learning!

1 Like

Hi @201812311,

Thank you so much for going through my project. Glad you liked it.

Regarding the datetime comment, I was under the impression that all date time entries were based on EST. So I have added the last ’ Mini conclusion’ as
So the best time to post to get good traction is 03 PM EST

So if I understood right, you are telling me to add +1.30 to get another time zone value, for an example. Is that right?

Well in my case, my report is only for ‘my friend’ :wink:
But I get your point. I can display the best time to post in different time zones.

It will be great if you can share your code. Looks like I’m learning a trick or two from you on each of my guided projects. Thank you for that.

Didn’t see this one. However, it is helpful for some users of HackerRank to give other timezones other than EST and there is a Python Package for that if you wanna explore some more, instead of adding a value manually. BUT since you’re limiting your audience / client to one person (“Your friend”) , its up to you. Your Project is still awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did a google search. Were you talking about " pytz - World Timezone Definitions for Python" or is it something else?

It will be good to learn how to use a new library and its functions.
Also, like you said, giving different time zones will definitely improve the immediate usability of the analysis.

Yes it is! I’ll post my updated HackerNews project tomorrow and I hope you’d be there to review it if you would like :).

1 Like

Yes, sure. Will do that.

Here is the link for my updated guided project on HackerNews

1 Like

Awesome project @jithins123!

It’s always fun to see this style in data analysis projects :laughing:

1 Like

It’s a good idea. I think I should give it a try.

1 Like

That sounds great. Let me know once you finish it. Though I’d suggest you not to go through the full solution/ finished guided project before you start it. So maybe you can apply the concept in the next one, if you think that is better.

Thanks for your reply @jithins123, could you please help me about how my solution can be marked as solution?

Hi @raisa.jerin.sristy79

If you are asking about how to mark a reply as a solution please refer this

It means whether my answer will be marked as solution or not is up to the person who created the post.
Am I right?

Yes @raisa.jerin.sristy79,
If you have helped someone to solve their question by providing a valuable answer, and by doing you have solved the issue, the person who asked the question can mark your reply as solution and let the system and others in the community know that the question in the thread is solved.

1 Like