Guided Project 3:Storytelling Data Visualization on Exchange Rates (PLEASE)

Screen Link:
https://app.dataquest.io/m/529/guided-project%3A-storytelling-data-visualization-on-exchange-rates/3/rolling-mean
Hello everyone,
I tried to create a line graph and its output was really strange. I don’t know how to debug. Can you have a look and give me an advice please?
My Code:

import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
%matplotlib inline

plt.plot(euro_to_dollar['Time'], euro_to_dollar['US_dollar'])
plt.show()

What I expected to happen:
A normal line graph.

What actually happened:
There are black bars on the left side even though normally it works. Thank you in advance.

Replace this line with the output/error

This is a very strange looking graph indeed, @TrnTrMi

Sure, it would be my pleasure!

I haven’t done this “version” of the mission (I did it a few months ago with a different dataset) so I used your code and was able to recreate this odd graph. To figure out why this is happening and then fix it, I explored the dataset a bit further and discovered why we are getting this plot as a result. Try these bits of code to see if you can spot why.

print(euro_to_dollar.dtypes)
print(euro_to_dollar['US_dollar'].value_counts())

After I saw these results, I was able to determine how to clean up the dataset so that I got this graph instead:

If, after you’ve inspected the results from the above code, you still don’t understand why our graph is a complete mess, let me know and we can try something else to help you along.

1 Like

Thank you Mike, yes I realized my mistakes. I changed the column US_dollar to float type but I forgot to assign back. Thank you so much for your advice.

2 Likes