Guided Project: Answering Business Questions Using - SQL

Greetings Fellow Dataquest Learners,

The more challenging the more engaging! That’s the phrase I would use to sum up my very first experience with this project. Great job again to the persons resonsible for curating projects on the platform and I do look forward to all helpful feedback.

Best Regards,
Jonathan

My uploaded solution to the project:
Guided Project_Answering Business Questions Using SQL.ipynb (930.6 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

Congrats @jweekes13 :handshake: on completing your work. It takes some serious focus to do the same, and especially with the last question. I have reviewed your project and have a couple of pointers. (click on the triangle bullet points for the detail)

Presentation Style
  • I recommend the use of Introduction and Conclusion sections. These clearly show the reader that you have a goal and that you can summarize your findings. Most who read your report will focus on these sections before going through your entire report.
  • I also recommend that you include a link to this db. You can find the same here
  • It is always best to round your outputs for all columns a simple ROUND(SUM(trc.total_purchase_value),2) in cell[6], for example, should help with this regard. It ensures cleanliness in your outputs.
  • I like your style of giving actionable feedback at the end of every scenario. However, I would caution you about this as well. During the course of further analysis, you may encounter results that may negatively impact your earlier findings. It is usually best to summarize actionable items towards the end to reduce re-work.
  • The addition of separators after each scenario does give a clean look to the report by segregating each section.
Coding Style
  • I noticed that there was some inconsistency in the way you wrote your code. In some places, you follow the SELECT with the column name and in other places, you put the column name after the select. You could use this style guide I found and published in a post. It would help to be more consistent and keep the code clean.
  • The output of cell[11] is quite long and requires extensive scrolling. I think it’s best to avoid it or at least reduce it by using the keyword LIMIT which help to reduce the number of lines
Bugs/Inaccuracies
  • The outcome of cell[12] seems incorrect. I would recommend that you re-visit the same. The query requires a bit of time to get around. If you can’t figure it out. The solution notebook could be checked.
Miscellaneous
  • When you have sorted everything, you could look in to adding visualizations in your notebook. They add a lot of value and helps the reader understand better.

Keep that focus on and keep the spirit running. Hope to see more of your projects!

1 Like