Guided Project: Profitable App Profiles for the App Store and Google Play Markets, difficulties

Hello everyone,

I am having great difficulties finishing the first guided project without looking at the solutions (and they say to myself “OF COURSE!”). I already learned how to manipulate data with numpy and pandas through other platforms but I did not have the basis of python (that is one the reason I wanted to study with Dataquest).

Is it me that is completely dumb or is there a huge gap between the classes and the project?

For the people that did it, how was your experience? Did you find it very hard too? Shall I redo all the classes?

Thanks in advance!

Well, this varies from student to student (or learner to learner). So, don’t worry too much about having to look at solutions often. Everyone learns differently. And it’s ok to take time and effort that suits you.

The more you practice, the more you will be able to come up with your own approaches to solve a problem. So, keep practicing!

I would, however, recommend going through another answer of mine here which talks on this a bit more - Thinking programmatically

If you think you are struggling too much, then yes, consider redoing them. BUT, this time try to do it by only focusing on the broader task and not the specific instructions. Think about the broader task and what’s being asked, and try to implement it yourself. Take your time, but make sure you put in the effort to think about what you are trying to solve and how you can approach it. Try not to rely on specific instructions and slowly you will reach the point of being comfortable with the material.

Also go through the practice problems Dataquest provides (the Practice Mode tab in your dashboard) since you are struggling with Python.

1 Like

That is extremely motivating, especially since I am not from a CS background at all and I had a hard time telling myself that I could a career change even without a degree in IT or applied maths.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @loicchamplong,

I just finished my first guided project a week ago. By saying that I wanted to tell you that I have joined very recently.
And before joining I didn’t know any python.
And the last time I wrote any long code was 15 years ago.
And probably the most complex code i wrote was how to check if a string is palindrome or not!

With all that 'and’s, the point I am trying to make is that I’m kind of an absolute beginner here. Each chapter in python is explained quite clearly and in simple words, so it is easy to learn and follow the instruction in each chapter. But to get a bigger picture and to know how, when and where to apply these information in a real life problem is completely different. That is what I feel.

So when it came to guided project, for the initial steps, it was easy for me to follow the instructions without even thinking about the solution notebook. But on later stage things changed a bit. It became slightly complex. Since I was doing something like this for the first time I wanted to check if I am on the right track and I did consult with the solution notebook.

I think my understanding of each chapters and how they all fit into a bigger problem had some gaps like you have mentioned and I think for a beginner that is natural. I feel the whole idea of these practical lessons is to teach us how to approach a problem and how to think to solve a problem. So I believe it is okay to feel those gaps in knowing something and applying it in a practical scenario. We are learning to get better at this. I’m sure you will be able to ace your upcoming guided project, even without referring to any instructions at all.

So don’t lose heart. I’d suggest you to skim through the Python fundamental and intermediate course even if you know it. You will never know when you can learn something new. If you know the basics, it wouldn’t take much time to cover all the chapters.

So good luck with the guided projects. I’m sure you will do great.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the encouragements.

I tried it again yesterday and in the end I was just very confused between the story telling and the code that was given to us and the part we had to code ourselves. It is going much better now.

1 Like