Thanks for the feedback and motivational comments.
Re: missing category data and fixing it - I did two things and probably it would be better to amend that in the commentary in the notebook.
- I read the dataset discussion in Kaggle and DQ commentary about that row
- Then I used Excel pivot to see distinct categories and this stuck like a sore thumb.
I could use frequency table / dictionary as well but did not think and had excel opened to see few things.
Prior to this when looking at the dataset being a few years old, I started searching for few apps in the current App and PlayStore to compare. So I did the same for this one too in PlayStore.
On an another note: I see that now PlayStore have cleaned up their genre/category as its lot better than what is in the dataset few year back.
Re: Conclusion section - You are right that I had rushed it a bit. Pure curiosity of finding more and more information vs not progressing in the course as much as I had hoped led to me to arriving purely from the AppStore and super imposing that on the PlayStore analysis and felt the finish a bit rushed.
Thanks again for the overall feedback - More of the good things to note and continue, few to note and remind myself in the next project to do better.