Guided Project Question

I sent this to Mary awhile ago but received no response.

Can someone please answer?

Hi Mary,

I’m not sure I totally understand Guided Projects. I’ve never written a data science report before or had any data science knowledge prior to enrolling with Dataquest, so I’m a little overwhelmed, learning Jupyter Notebook while trying to create a data science report, or whatever the official name is. So, anyway, my question is are we supposed to copy the solution, step-by step, just to get our feet wet, or is there another way we are supposed to create the project. I know I have to combine writing and code, but I’m just not sure how I’m supposed to do this or what I’m supposed to do. I know it’s a stupid question, but any guidance you could provide would be appreciated.

As of right now, I’ve sort of been paraphrasing your copy and following the solution, but I don’t know if that’s what I’m supposed to do.

Thanks,

Erin

hey @erin.mccool

Interesting question!

I copy DQ’s solutions all the time :stuck_out_tongue: … I do take a sneak peek, because I am also learning.

Well, the idea is for us to learn how to exactly combine our understanding of the problem statement, the solution/ workaround we devised and the results we obtained based on our skills acquired in the course.
If the results somehow don’t match - match not with DQ, but with the question/ objective of the problem statement - then what was our re-approach to it and so on.

It’s okay if you have copied the first 1-2 projects or rather based DQ’s solution as a template.

What should your take-way ideally be - the workflow of the project:

• how was it introduced to the audience,
  • what is the objective it is trying/gonna achieve
  • the process followed (basically coding part) along with an explanation of relevant steps taken
  • summarizing results obtained from the code parts
  • forming conclusions based on the results obtained
  • any additional work that you have done for the project (not necessarily) at the end - this can be in between the project as well.

but all these things combined like a smooth flowing article.

Consider it a techno-functional resume that we need for better job prospects and to prove our talent & skills to prospective employers in which DataQuest is helping us out.

hope this helps you in some way. :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey @erin.mccool

you may refer to this post by Mary for detailed explanation: