Guided Project Review; Exploring Hacker News Posts

1. Hi there! Recently finished up the second guided project where I analyzed Hacker News Posts. For this, I tried to make an effort to include writing more Markdowns explaining what the code does. If I could get some feedback on this, I would really appreciate it.
    I am really happy I am doing this because it is helping become more and more familiar with the syntax of Python.

2. URL is here; http://localhost:8889/notebooks/Desktop/Exploring%20Hacker%20News%20Posts/Exploring%20Hacker%20News%20Posts.ipynb

3. Exploring Hacker News Posts.ipynb|attachment](upload://e7PGfdUlRNKW5lGzT75ucyQM01M.ipynb) (14.8 KB)

Note; Still not really sure how I get it so that my .ipynb notebook appears as a new tab in the browser.

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

1 Like

Hi @cameron_rex,

Thanks for sharing your project with us! It looks nice, you’ve done a good job!

Some suggestions from my side:

• Your code is a bit over-commented. You might consider skipping some obvious comments like #convert that to an integer, #to begin, assign total_show to zero, #empty dictionary called comments_by_hour, etc.
  • Some code comments are also a bit too wordy and long. You can consider makig them more laconic, or divide them into 2 (or more) lines. Also, it’s better to avoid when a code comment is longer than the code lines themselves in given code cell, like it happened in the code cell [8].
  • The code cell [5]: this piece of information would look better in a markdown rather than in a code cell.
  • A good practice is to use font styles (bold, italic) only for emphasising, avoid over-using them. The same thing about using subheadings: only for a new section of a project.
  • Please remove the last empty code cell after the conclusion.

I hope my suggestions were useful. Happy learning!

Thanks for the feedback!
Will keep those suggestions in mind as I keep working through more guided projects.
Cheers!

1 Like