Guided project sharing!

This is my first guided project that I’m sharing, and I found the community discussion very helpful so I’d like to provide my dataset to help others succeed in this guided project.

I would like to understand why we chose to start the:
for sp in range (0,18,3), (1,15,3), and (2,20,3) instead of starting all with 0… wouldn’t that make the reference to sp easier? instead of having to create a cat_index that ties the SP back to [0,1,2…] later on?

Link: https://app.dataquest.io/m/149/guided-project%3A-visualizing-the-gender-gap-in-college-degrees/6/exporting-to-a-file

Hi @chaangallison and welcome to the community. Congratulations for finishing your first guided project :tada:!
As for your question, the way I understand it, is that we want to create the plots in columns. So we build a matrix and starting populating it by columns. For the first set of plots, we put them in column at index zero range(0,18,3), where the 0 stands for column zero, and the 3 are the steps.
You can imagine the matrix like the one below, we want the STEM subject to be all in the first column, so we need to populate starting from 0 and then in steps of 3, so 0, 4, 7… Then we want the liberal arts to be in the second column, so you have to start from 1… and so on… I hope it makes sense :nerd_face:

0 1 2
4 5 6
7 8 9

Hi!
Just keep in mind that in many cases there might be various solution to the same problem. And the solution notebook serves only as an orientation. If you implement your code the different way but it still does the same thing, perfect!
I populated the columns with plots without consulting the solution and I did it a different way. Maybe it´s somewhat closer to what you mean. For each for loop iteration I used an auxiliar variable i, which was declared before for operator with values of 1(for 1st column), 2 (2nd column) and 3(3rd column) and the sp was iterated in range (0, 6) for the 1st and 3rd column and in range (0, 5) for the 2nd column as there were only 5 majors in liberal arts. At the end of each iteration I added 3 to the i value.

1 Like