Guided Project_ Storytelling Data Visualization on Exchange Rates

Hi everyone,

Here’s my another project from the updated courses on dataviz. I developed one of the suggested storytelling ideas: about the pandemic 2020.

I considered 2 directions: EUR to USD and EUR to Russian rouble. Practically, I considered in parallel the corresponding currency and COVID trends. From my data exploration, I found out that the currency trend in the USA was much more COVID-sensitive than the one in Russia, where it was mostly influenced by political and economical events not related directly to the pandemic waves.

It’s a pity that with the given data, we cannot trace the effect of the vaccination program start on the currency rates. Also, I have one curious open question as a potential way forward: a counterintuitive trend of EUR-RUB rate in December 2020. Is there some good possible explanation of it? Most probably some political or economical events in that period in Russia, but I can’t figure out which ones. If you have any idea about it, please let me know.

Ah, and this time I used a very cool feature: adding to the outputs of the print statement subheadings in bold. Please check it (the code cell [3] and some others), you’ll definitely find it useful for your future projects. And thanks a lot @shubhkirti.prasad, I discovered this great approach in your projects! :grinning:

Please take a look at my work and let me know what can be further improved, whether it’s about code optimization, storytelling, visualizations, coherence of my observations, or any fresh idea about the data (maybe also from the USA part). Any constructive feedback will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

EUR-USD and EUR-RUB Exchange Rate Evolution in 2020 (the COVID Pandemic).ipynb (1.2 MB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

6 Likes

Great to see that you are still crushing the guided projects. Great presentation. I hope that one day I will catch up and draw inspiration from your project. Thanks for sharing this.

1 Like

Hi Jithin,

Oh, this is my old guided project, it emerged to the surface, together with some other old projects of other learners, because of adding a tag :slightly_smiling_face: Thank you for your kind words, and looking forward to seeing more cool projects from you in the Community! :star_struck:

2 Likes