Guided Project: Visualizing Earnings Based On College Majors. Request for Feedback

Hello friends!
If you have some spare time, please, take a look at my guided project .

By the way, I have a question.
In the last Hexagonal plot ‘Women vs Median’ using xscale parametr:
‘ValueError: x contains non-positive values, so can not be log-scaled’
Can you comment it, how it can be non-positive values in columns where cannot be less than zero?

Thank you very much

Visualizing Earnings Based On College Majors.ipynb (701.3 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

Hi @sergibtrader

Thanks for sharing your project! Good work on a thorough completion of this project. Here are a few comments:

• Good, to-the-point observations in the first part of the analysis. The only thing I am not sure about is the common meaning of columns ‘Sample_size’ and ‘Total’. More on this later.
  • Narratively, it is often better to explain why you’re doing something before you do it. For example, in the scatter plots, histograms and bar plots parts of your project, you start right away with the plots. It makes it confusing to the reader, who does not know what you’re trying to achieve
  • Speaking of plots, I do like the attention you gave to yours. All of them do look quite nice!
  • The Total vs Sample_size section is confusing. What are you trying to prove exactly? It seems to me that you want to show that the Total and Sample_size columns “move together”, and thus large sample size is the same thing as large total. Why not then use the tools introduced by the project? A scatter plot of these two columns would immediately and visually show this.
  • On the grouped bar plot section: nice that your explained your objectives at the start! It would have been nice to give a conclusion too.
  • I like what you did to color the box plots.
  • I agree with your two conclusions, but it could be useful to elaborate.

On last point, that is not directly related to data analysis or coding: try to be mindful of your spelling and grammar. This always improves the reading experience!

Finally, it seems that this last hexagonal plot worked in the notebook you linked. Thus I won’t comment on your question, as I’m not sure what could have happened.

All in all, congratulations on the nice project! Don’t be afraid to write a bit more. Good luck with your next projects, and happy learning!

1 Like

Hi Leo,
Thank you for such a detailed explanation. I really appreciate your feedback.
Sometimes it takes more time to write the text than the code itself. At the same time, writing the text is more difficult when the English is weak. To be honest, I spent more time understanding the structure of the code than describing it, but now I understand that it was a mistake, I need to do everything in a complex.

Thanks again!