Guided: Project Visualizing The Gender Gap In College Degrees

Hi all,
It is the first time that I’m sharing any project! Please any feedback will be more than welcomed!
I will try to keep it up and share more of the projects that i will do here! Thank you for your time!

Guided_Project_Visualizing_The_Gender_Gap_In_College_Degrees.ipynb (705.5 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

3 Likes

Hi @nikdimi

Congratulations on finishing and sharing your project here.

Looks like you have followed everything mentioned in the instructions very promptly. So all the coding looks good.

Though there are a few things that can make your project even better.

• It is a good idea to start any project by giving a bit of introduction about the data set, the goal of the analysis, what and how you are going to go about the whole process etc. It gives an idea to the reader who doesn’t have any idea about this project, some context. So please include an introduction using the markdown cells.
  • Similarly, it will be good to give an explanation of the code block or the logic of the code using markdown cells. An alternate code block and markdown cell looks great and makes for an easy read.

• Conclusion is one of the most important part of any project. Most of the people would be interested in knowing what you have found out from these analysis rather than going through all the code blocks. From the perspective of a reader who wants to know about the gender gap, they would be more interested in the conclusion part.

If you are planning to create a portfolio out of these guided projects, these points will be very important. The below mentioned link will be helpful if you want to read more about it.

Regarding the coding part:

In certain guided projects, its better to take a personal call and deviate from the exact instruction. Well, this is my personal opinion. But in this case, you actually need the last code cell with all the changes made to the initial plot. Others are simply repeating most part of the same code.

Another point is that

ax.spines["right"].set_visible(False)    
    ax.spines["left"].set_visible(False)
    ax.spines["top"].set_visible(False)    
    ax.spines["bottom"].set_visible(False)

You have used this code and

for key,spine in ax.spines.items():
        spine.set_visible(False)

There is one more variation, if you are interested in knowing.

for spine in ax.spines.values():
        spine.set_visible(False)

In this version, you only need to use one iterating variable.

Another thing which might help you in future is this

ax.tick_params(bottom="off", top="off", left="off", right="off")

In some version(mostly latest versions) “off” might not work. Instead you will have to use the Boolean values, True and False.
If any time On/Off doesn’t work try True/False

I think these points can make your project better. Hope it helps.
Altogether, the coding part was good. Keep up the good work. Happy learning.

3 Likes

Hi jithins123! Thank you for the time you dedicated! Your points are so helpful and correct, this project is lacking of documentation, i don’t know what i was thinking! I’m trying to get better on this.

ax.tick_params(bottom="off", top="off", left="off", right="off"): You are correct here as well because in personal notebook i was getting error but in Dataquest environment was correct.

for spine in ax.spines.values():
spine.set_visible(False)
Wow, i didn’t know it! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks again and i’m very happy for joining this great community!

2 Likes

Glad you found these points helpful. Happy learning.

2 Likes

Yeah! some explanation within markdown cell would be better to make it easily understandable to others.

3 Likes

Thanks you raisa.jerin.sristy! I hope the next projects will get better!

:slight_smile: Thank you for sharing such a good project and replying me.
Congrats on your fantastic job.

1 Like