Help! Jupyter keeps showing 'error' when trying to save my project. Lost hours of work :(

Screen Link:

I have tried refreshing over and over for several weeks now. It will work for only a few minutes at a time and then show an ‘error’ message in orange where it normally says ‘kernal.’ One day (before I noticed this issue) I did 3 hours of work only to realize at the end of it that none of it had autosaved and that there had been an ‘error’ message there I didn’t notice so I lost all of that work. I’ve been trying to get through this project for weeks (having to move on and come back to it) and it’s been really frustrating because I’ll make changes and they won’t save, and I’ve been saving every couple minutes to be safe, but keep running into this issue. Not sure why. Can anyone help me?

@Sahil can you please take a look at this?

Hi @ywbadri,

Your work is not lost. It is available in a different file. Please click the file dropdown and select NYC Schools.Ipynb file:
Shared with CloudApp

If you are still receiving the error on saving the file, let me know I will look into it.

Best,
Sahil

Thanks Sahil, but I think you misunderstood me. I know that my work is not ALL lost, and I know about my different saves. The copy1 save is my latest copy where I was trying to make corrections and add to my project. I did 3 hours+ of additional work one day and that is completely lost because the kernel showed ‘error’ and wasn’t saving anything at that time. I am still getting the error message every few minutes when I try to work on and save this project. This is the only project I’ve worked on where I’ve encountered this issue.

1 Like

Hi @ywbadri,

Oh, I had absolutely the same problem with exactly this project! And yes, with the previous projects I never had this issue. In fact, it was after that crazy error (many times as well, and also a big piece of work lost) that I decided to start working on guided projects only on my local computer. The best way to do it is to install Anaconda, and from there use Jupyter notebook. I know, it’s a very frustrating situation and should be fixed somehow. But just for not losing time anymore, you can start working on this project locally. Just install Anaconda, open what’s remained from your current version of project, and continue working on it.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. I have checked the previous versions of your project but I couldn’t find any version that has more progress than what you have right now. Since you are still receiving the error message, I would suggest you to check out the ‘Other Alternatives’ section of this topic:

1 Like

Good to know I wasn’t the only one having this issue, and that’s a good idea - I’ll just download Anaconda and do it all locally from now on. Thanks again Elena!

2 Likes