Here's my first project in DataQuest. Answered the second question as well!

I have also tried to answer the second question:
" * How does the number of escapees affect the success?"

Interestingly, i haven’t even tried to automate the process of fixing the lists with the names included, i just did it manually, which i am pretty sure there is a way to automate that, but let’s not jump too high for now, i guess.

Basics.ipynb (94.5 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

2 Likes

Hello @Miserry! Welcome to the Community and thank you for sharing your first project with us :slight_smile:

Well done on taking initiative and trying to answer the second question. That is really important to show that you are not afraid of the challenges that data science can offer.

Some feedback from my side:

• The name “My first Data Science Project” is there for teaching purposes to teach you some markdown. In the real world, you should give some attractive and eye-catching titles to your projects. You can come back to this project after some time and improve it using the skills you’ll acquire by studying on Dataquest
  • The same goes for project style: introduction, brief explanations of the results, code comments, etc. These are the things to get familiar with as soon as possible. I suggest you read this style guide, it provides a lot of tips and tricks on how to present your project.
  • After you completed the project, rerun all the cells so that the first cell starts from [1]
  • In [33] I am not sure why you have Yes and No variables. Where do you use them?
  • Extracting escapees should be relatively easy:
    1. Create two empty lists (for those who did not escape and who escaped). Then loop through the rows
    2. If the row[3] contain Yes, append the escapee name to the corresponding list (and you take it from the column with escapees)
    3. Else, append the name to the other list

I hope my feedback was useful :slight_smile: Good luck with your next project and happy coding!

3 Likes

Thank you for your feedback.

For real, i have spend little to no time on the markdowns and expanations & notes. Making a note for myself.

You are right, i haven’t used the variables in [33] at all.

1 Like

Great work sir, the ‘fetch_year’ function, how did you get it, I didn’t see you creating that can you put me through that