How answer3 is the correct answer

@Maho,

We re-assign the value of the variable x in the line 4, using the current value of x (which is 1) and the value of total (which is 3). After this re-assignment, the value of x has changed and became 2.

Analogically, with re-assigning y, using its current value and the current value of total. Hence, now y is equal 3-2, hence 1.

But ( total ) is now equal to 4 because now x is equal to 2 so y = 4 - 2 = 2, am I right?

1 Like

No, total remains equal to 3, as we calculated it in the third line of the code, using still the old values of x and y. We never re-calculated or re-assigned it after that. It is not re-calculated automatically only because we re-assigned x and y. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@happypursuitjourney

It will be a good idea to run this above code line by line and add a print() in between each lines for each variable. You will understand better that way. If you have already tried that, great then.

But why we didn’t do the same thing ( re-assigning ) for total ( it is also a variable )?.. I am very sorry for not understanding.

I have done this but I still don’t understand why ( total ) didn’t change because of the new value of ( x )

Indeed, if after these 5 lines of code you insert this line:

total = x + y

it will be re-assigned! Well, it will be actually again equal to 3, but this time it’s because of x=2 and y=1.

In this task it was not re-assigned, yes, but if you add this line of code, or if you re-assign also x and y with some new values again, then total will be definitely re-assigned.

From your explanation, I can understand that to re-assign a new value to an old variable I should make a new assignment statement for the old variable, and not because I changed the value of ( x ) the previous statements will change ( x in total = x + y is still equal to 1 ). Is it correct?

Absolutely! If you want to re-assign an old variable (here it is total), you have to create a new assignment statement exactly for that variable. Otherwise, even if you change the other variables which were initially used for its calculation (here they are x and y), nothing will be changed to that variable (to total). Let’s say that variable just doesn’t know anything about changing x and y untill you re-assign exactly it.

1 Like

Thanks a lot … can I say that x and y in ( total = x + y ) still have their old values?

1 Like

Yes, in that line of code they still have the old values.

1 Like