How can I learn programming better?

Recently I’ve come to a realization. I’ve spent the last 2 and a half weeks, hours a day, learning and applying python to reach the goal of getting a job in programming in python. But as I learn there is a major setback. For the things I’ve learned I know how to use it to an extent. But I don’t exactly understand it.

I feel that disconnect is causing some loss in progress. For example, I know that a line of code, function, argument, etc. Will work but for many things I don’t know why. For the fundamentals I can read the code and see what makes it up, where things connect and work together. But the more I learn, the less I can make those connections.

Right now I’m getting deeper into Pandas, Numpy, and Matplotlib but a lot of it isn’t sticking due to that disconnect. And I know that I will need to make these connections before moving onto SQL, Scikit, Tensorflow, etc.

Is this a normal feeling for people learning code? And if so what is the best way to learn the “how code works” over just learning the “what code works”?

I know you preceded with this with “For example”, but. . . could you give an example? :sweat_smile: Something concrete. It’s much better if you can provide a few examples.

@foxtrot.a.t This was me some years ago.
I had learned a lot but due to Imposter Syndrome, I felt that no, am not yet there.
There are many strategies to learn to code, but for me, I prefer learning by Practising, I practice a lot what I’ve learned by doing simple projects, doing some coding tasks in leetcode.com or codewars.com that way It builds a solid understanding of how things work.

You can also check out the following 4 articles from our community:

1 Like

This is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!

1 Like