CYBER WEEK - EXTRA SAVINGS EVENT
TRY A FREE LESSON

How I Learned Data Science in 6 Months

Originally published at: https://www.dataquest.io/blog/how-i-learned-data-science-6-months/

As the title suggests, this is an analysis project on my Dataquest journey that allowed me to learn Data Science in less than 6 months. I’m really excited to have finished this project just in time before the new year came! What’s a better way to send off 2020 than a thorough look-back at my focus of the year?

It has been a year of grief, but in the Dataquest community, I see people from all over the world trying their best to learn and make progress every day. So my incentive to do this project is not only revisiting my journey but to encourage beginners by giving them a peek into the road ahead. But please keep in mind that the time and effort to complete this path is highly relevant to personal situations. I will explain mine later in this article.

Continue reading the entire article on the Dataquest blog

32 Likes

Hi,
Great!
May I ask you, how much time does it take you to do this personal project?

2 Likes

Hi @sergibtrader,

I’d say about a week’s worth of working time.

I think what took this long was mostly the process of designing this project.

• I didn’t work on it every day and didn’t start off including the web scraping part. After I was done with the email parsing, it just didn’t feel like much data to work with. That’s when I decided to scrap the curriculum.
  • It took some time to come up with a data imputation strategy that I was happy with.
  • Also, it was the first time I worked with the email parsing and scraping with Selenium.
5 Likes

Hi @veratsien,

Thank you so much for sharing this info! Was your ultimate goal for doing the course to start a career in Data Science? If so, have you had success? If yes, would you mind sharing your experience in the current job market?

Thank you so much.
Frank

1 Like

Hi @flherron01, welcome to the community! :clap:

Sorry but I’m afraid I don’t have a successful job hunt story to share. I can’t say I had much of an ‘ultimate goal’ when I started this course. It was more the result of a combination of random things: moving to the US, a conversation with a Python programmer friend, and the pandemic.

I haven’t started job hunting yet, and I’m trying to avoid it if I can… (It’s more of a personal choice. I had worked in an office setting for five years and just don’t see it as a long-time life plan.) I’m also doing Flutter programming right now and trying to combine what I’ve learned here. That being said, I’m still building my own projects for my portfolio(they also help build confidence). I just don’t do projects for job hunting ONLY.

So… you can tell I don’t have personal experience with job hunting in data science from the babbling… But I did come across this great article I think might have some answers to your question from DataElixir’s news letter --> How Can We Fix the Data Science Talent Shortage?

2 Likes

Got it, thank you. I appreciate the additional link!

1 Like

Hi @veratsien

Thanks for sharing your journey. It’s amazing to see what you can do now on Python starting with very little experience. I just finished the first guided project and must say, even though I thought I was comfortable with the lessons learned leading up to the first project I found it quite challenging and had to refer to the solutions quite often for help.

Can you share some advice or tips that you learned on what to do when you get stuck on a guided project apart from looking at the solution?

I don’t want to lose hope so quickly but I feel a bit worried considering that I struggled with the basics and there is still so much to learn.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hi @kloppersjj02,

You are welcome!

About the first guided project, I assure you, you are definitely not alone. I think I sorta dodged a bullet there skipping the first step at the beginning of my journey. I went back to that first project as my last project and it was still a lot to handle. Things actually get a lot easier once you learned all the libraries like Pandas and Numpy, etc. Now I’m excited for you lol.:laughing: Here’s my project and you will see people agree that it’s almost too challenging for a first project: Going back to the first project. Imo, just finishing it is an achievement.

• First, this community is one of the best for learners. Almost every problem you encounter, you will find someone with the same problem already asked a question in the community, and it might even have been discussed extensively. If not, you get to ask a unique question and benefit people after you!
  • If it’s a bug in your code, don’t overlook the power of a simple print() statement, especially as a beginner. It’s much faster to spot a bug in some testing result than just staring at your code. Also, there’s the famous ‘rubber duck’ debugging method. It may seem silly but I assure you it works like a charm!
  • The great thing about Dataquest is that they assume you can take the initiative to learn, thus forcing you to look things up, read on excurricular materials, and so on. Really, Google is your best friend in this case.
  • Something else I want to mention: when you are doing guided projects, expect it to be an extension instead of a validation of what you’ve learned. I think shifting the focus from why can’t I figure this out to how can I figure this out would help in a surprising way.

The community is your best friend for all those feelings you have in this journey, cause by no chance you will be alone here.

Keep calm and code on. :vulcan_salute:

@veratsien Thanks so much for the detailed feedback and encouragement. I really appreciate your help.

1 Like