How long does it take to grasp specific topics?

Congrats on the job @koh.justin! Hoping to eventually follow those footsteps in Q1 of 2020.

@alex @Bruno Can’t wait for the new course as I’m very intrigued by ML topics and am taking time off for the next few months (until about Jan/Feb). Do you think from now until then is substantial time to get a good grasp on a topic/multiple topics? Granted I’ll be studying 20-40 hours a week.

1 Like

I think Sahil has a better grasp of this than me.

@Sahil Can you help out Patrick?

1 Like

Hi @patrickalfante,

Since I don’t know much about your educational backgrounds. I am assuming that you don’t have any prior data science knowledge and would require to learn from scratch. In that case, our Data Scientist In Python path which covers fundamental topics in ML, takes around 240 hours (rough estimation) to complete. So considering you are spending 20 hrs per week, you would be able to easily complete it before February 2020. I would recommend you to do as many projects as you can in March 2020. So that you can make sure that you still remember all those topics you have learned.

At this point, I would like to consider you to be somewhere between Beginner and Intermediate level in Machine Learning. Machine Learning is a really vast field in itself, so it won’t be easy for you to learn it completely in a few months. However, as of March 2020, you will be able to start doing Machine Learning Projects on your own. Your next journey should be to choose some of the most commonly used algorithms and try to learn more about it so that you are comfortable with choosing the right parameters to tune the algorithm (This can be achieved in an year or so). At this point, I will consider you an intermediate level. To get to the Advanced Level, you want to pick a specific field that you are interested in, the reason is that, you can either be an expert in one field or know little bit of every field in ML. At this point, you will be researching newly released algorithms in that field or you may even be creating an algorithm on your own. This is something that would take years and would be an ongoing process as technology keeps on evolving rapidly.

However, if you just want to learn ML so that you can get a job in ML, then I would recommend you to reach the intermediate level. This will help you to land in beginner level ML jobs.

Hope this helps :slightly_smiling_face:

Best,
Sahil

1 Like

Thanks, @Sahil I’ll be keeping this in mind. And thanks @Mary for splitting this into a new topic.

Edit:

Would you say the statistics portion that DQ is enough? Are there any other resources (books, etc) you’d be able to suggest?