How to import a project into the 'side bar' Jupyter notebook?

Hi there. Every time I try to open a notebook in what I’m calling the ‘sidebar’ Jupyter notebook, it opens in a separate browser tab. I’d like to code with the dataquest instructions in the same window. Is there an easy way to do this besides copying and pasting the code into a new project?

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Hey Joe,

Are you able to perhaps share a screenshot of what you’re seeing? It might help people to understand what you’re describing and suggest a solution.

Hi, I’ll try to describe what I’m running to in images.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 1.50.13 PM

Unfortunately, those images aren’t in the right order. Let me try this again.

Here’s the first shot. I’ve opened up dataquest to this part of the mission and I have an empty notebook on the right.

From the dropdown, I try to open up my project:

When I do, I see this:

I try to open the file instead using File > Open:

And I get this screen and open Guided Project - App Store.ipynb

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 2.09.35 PM

And it opens, but not within the window next to the dataquest instructions but in a separate tab altogether. I want it to be next to the dataquest instructions.

1 Like

Hi Joe. I ran into this problem as well! The issue seemed to be from having spaces in the filename. I didn’t have a fix for it, so I just sighed and started over (I didn’t even think how I could access the file like you did!). I don’t seem to get this problem anymore when the filename has no spaces.

2 Likes

Wow, that did it. Thanks April!

1 Like

Hey @joe.mirza!

Do you mind marking the solution for us? This puts it on the original post and makes it easier for others to find.

To mark an answer correct/as the solution:

1. Scroll down to the correct post
  2. Click on the three dots next to the reply button
  3. Then click the check box. It will then show up in the original post, and you’re all set!

Hi @Joe.mirza, @april.g,

Here is a fix for this issue, if you encounter it again:

Best,
Sahil

Hi Mary. Just did that.

-Joe

Thank you, Sahil. That’s really helpful. And very detailed. Much appreciated.
-Joe

1 Like