I-94: Inclement weather and human migration patterns tend to impact congestion the most

Absent data about road works and vehicle collisions, people’s migratory patterns are the strongest indicator for traffic congestion (e.g. rush hour) and inclement weather.

Inclement weather seems to fall broadly into two categories: too severe to drive in and severe enough to drive, but cautiously.

I can’t help but feel the presentation may be a bit off. I read through the style guide. To whom do data scientists normally prepare or present data? My assumption is most of the code stuff, ever present in the notebooks, would be irrelevant to the audience.

Any insight, about that or any other aspect of the attached notebook, is certainly appreciated.

2022-04-11 Guided Project Data Viz for Minnesota Traffic.ipynb (1011.2 KB)

Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

2 Likes

Hi @rawr7

Welcome back to DQ!

The audience can be anyone for your project. Taking some cues from personal experience, the good audience is the one who will kind of compel you to answer the “Why” and not the “How”. The latter can be learned, researched and worked around. The former is tricky and shows your approach, analytical thinking, attention to detail etc. So yeah the code shows what you have done, but the approach shows why you have done so.

Coming to the project, it looks like a good read :+1: I would suggest a few updates, which you can do in the same project or can demonstrate in future projects.

• instead of 0 - 6 as Monday - Sunday, try changing these numbers in the plot itself. there are several methods to do so. A similar suggestion is for the name of the month.
  • you have grouped the dataset by weather pattern and calculated mean traffic volumes. However, the plots only mention traffic volumes. As a reader, I can/ may ask questions like is it the median, mode, maximum or minimum etc. Your plot titles or axis labels or legends help to not cause confusion like that for the reader.

Overall your project has a neat structure. :ok_hand: Also, why does your project start at Code Cell 80?

@Rucha hai, I am getting confused on the command plt.figure(). How do we make use of this and on what basis are we giving the numerical inputs?

Hi @madtitan

plt.Figure() will create a new figure. If you assign a unique identifier to it, you can also reuse the same figure. It’s like you are creating a base container to plot multiple charts in the same script.

Can you elaborate

If it’s the code figsize = (n1, n2) then that’s the width and the height of the figure you wish to create. Below references may be helpful:

Let me know if this helps.

1 Like