I-94 Looking at Rain and Repeats For Answers to Traffic Volume

Hi Folks! I went in on this Guided Project and took a look at outliers and removed duplicate records to compare the differences between the initial stages of the project and after. I’d really love to hear if it makes sense, flows, how I can improve and whether or not this is productive way to use my time when completing an analysis. I value the feedback I receive as well as the feedback shared between so many of you. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Heavy Traffic Indicators on I-94

I94_Minneapoliis_StPaul.ipynb (1.9 MB)
Click here to view the jupyter notebook file in a new tab

2 Likes

Hey @aarong98104

Great work! :heart_eyes_cat:
I appreciate the efforts you have put into this project. I especially liked the duplicate data section - with the number of days calculation, how many records should have been there if the data was collected in an ideal way, but alas IRL we won’t get that perfect data!

The plots and narrative are streamlined making it a thorough read. :+1:

I do have questions though:

• Let’s just say two weather conditions occur together for example rain and thunderstorm, in that case, how can we define duplicity in the dataset? It might be that different weather conditions occurring at the same time were recorded as separate rows. How would you analyze the data if that’s the case?

• When you have identified a specific date-time to explore, why not use some date-time functions to narrow down the dataset for analysis based on this selected date? Why perform the analysis based on index number? (Nothing wrong with it per se, but let’s just say this is not feasible, how would you go about it?)

I have reviewed multiple projects on this dataset and each time it makes me like this dataset a bit more. Thank you for sharing your project with DQ. :smile:

All the best for future project work.

2 Likes

@Rucha ,thank you for such a detailed response and review. Per your questions- I’m not sure about the two weather events occurring at the same time, but the traffic volume counts were the same despite the weather descriptions, which suggested a repeat and what I thought would be skewed data. As to not using functions to look at the date time column, it didn’t even occur to me😂. That would’ve saved me so much time. I’ll definitely remember that. Again, thanks for your time and dedication. I’ll be sure to enhance some of these areas. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Aaron

1 Like

Hi @aarong98104

Think over the 1st question again. Consider it as I am a nagging (& self-nonplused) interviewer who is trying to confuse you!

What if there are two weather conditions present on the same day? Are you saying this is an impossibility? In case hypothetically they represent two conditions on the same day, how would you treat this info and dataset?

Regards

@Rucha , sorry it took a minute to follow up on this. I took your advice and tried some indexing and snooped around the dataframe some more. I know now what you meant by asking if it was an impossibility to have two weather conditions present on the same day (in this case during the same one hour window). In this regard, it may be easier to understand that looking at the data isn’t so much about what you discover, but how you get there and, more importantly, showing that you can differentiate between what looks like an error vs. what is just a second scenario that may require further analysis. Now that my curiosity is peaked I think I’ll goof around with this a bit more, but I really wanted to reach out and say thanks for posing great questions and observations. I’ll be sure to keep an eye peeled for these kinds of scenarios in the future.

Sincerely,

Aaron

1 Like

Hey @aarong98104

No worries, your response is still lighting fast!

I may never be able to summarize this good. Great that we both looked at this detail this closely. Honestly, this question came due to your project work (although I have reviewed multiple projects on this dataset, it didn’t even click me about multiple weather conditions at the same time - the other learners did give me other questions to :thinking: upon though!).

Glad we both have something new to learn and explore today. :slight_smile:

All the best for your future work. Happy Learning!