I can't write some symbols in command line terminal

I tried it in my computer and it Works. But I can’t write “~$” symbols and backslash (Actually I can’t use 'AltGr’button) in command line terminal in course content. I can’t understand where is the problem?
Also I can’t copy and paste something to the command line. I don’t live same problem with command line in my computer.

Hi @shyla,

Welcome to the community! You might be using a Swedish keyboard layout or a similar layout.

svg
CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

If it is, then please try setting your keyboard layout to US-International.

svg
CC BY-SA 3.0, Link

After that you can type $ using SHIFT + 4, ~ using SHIFT + ` and \ using ' key. If these key combinations are not working then one possible way is to use a virtual keyboard of US-International layout.

The reason why Alt Gr key is not working in bash shell is because Alt key is used for digit argument in bash. You can read more about it here:

Thank you for letting us know about this issue. I will inform the engineering team.

Best,
Sahil

Hi @Sahil,
Thanks for reply,
I am using Turkish (Q) keyboard layout. Also I can’t copy and paste anything to the command line.

Hi @shyla,

Thank you for providing your keyboard layout. Since you are using Turkish (Q) layout, when you change to US-International, you can type $ using SHIFT + 4, ~ using SHIFT + ` and \ using , key.

Sorry for missing the copy and pasting issue on my previous post. Depending on the operating system you are using, the copy and paste shortcuts on the platform are different.

On Windows: After selection, press Ctrl + a then Ctrl + c to copy text. And press Ctrl + a then Ctrl + v to paste text.
On Mac: ⌘ + c to copy text and ⌘ + v to paste text.

Best,
Sahil

Hello @Sahil,
Thank you for the solution.

1 Like