I need guidance on completing the DataScience course

I recently started Dataquest. I work full-time and therefore my progress is slow. I would appreciate recommendations on how to accelerate my progress. Any/all tips, tricks, hacks are appreciated.

I personally find it easiest to learn if I have a project in mind that I care about that requires the skills I’m learning – something concrete and practical enough to be achievable, but big enough and important enough to me on a personal level to be motivating. Maybe think about your hobbies and interests, and try to find something you could “level up” with a data project?

Also, the Dataquest blog has a learning and motivation category, which has some useful resources!

2 Likes

Hi Scott!

Something I’ve just started doing to try to make more consistent progress is to schedule it in a calendar, like a meeting or event. Think of an interval you can realistically commit to like 30 minutes a night or 1 hour, three times a week or similar and book it, set reminders, etc.

And I definitely agree with what @darla la said. For quite a while, I had trouble thinking of something I wanted to code, but once I finally did, ideas kept popping up for me. I started keeping a log of things I wanted to learn and explore too - don’t worry if this list gets long. Just check things off as you can.

I don’t know if you’re interested in visualization, but making simple charts of data you’re interested in gives you immediate feedback and they are typically easy to tweak and extend as you learn incrementally. This link is R-specific (Top 50 ggplot2 Visualizations - The Master List (With Full R Code)), but it led me to think about different ways to model, analyze, and display my data of interest. You could try to do similar things if you’re a Python person - I know a little R right now, but I plan to take my personal data project (based in R) and try to reproduce it in Python once I learn enough to get going.

Hope this helped!
Chris

2 Likes

Thanks Chris. This makes a lot of sense. I have been doing this but this still does not solve for the issue completing a project in DataQuest which is not exactly that related to my work (App Ratings). What I was hoping for was hacks that can help me accelerate my learning. For example cheat sheets that help me with Python when/if I am stuck as one example. Or Weekend study groups where other peers are also trying to complete the DataScience program. Any/all ideas are welcome.

Thanks Darla. This makes a lot of sense. I have been doing this but this still does not solve for the issue completing a project in DataQuest which is not exactly that related to my work (App Ratings). What I was hoping for was hacks that can help me accelerate my learning. For example cheat sheets that help me with Python when/if I am stuck as one example. Or Weekend study groups where other peers are also trying to complete the DataScience program. Any/all ideas are welcome.

1 Like

Scott - there are tons of Python cheat sheets out there, but when I searched I happened to find a list that had multiple sheets from Dataquest on different topics - see https://sinxloud.com/python-cheat-sheet-beginner-advanced/. There’s also a list of more focused sheets from the Python Crash Course book at https://ehmatthes.github.io/pcc_2e/. If you were a bit more specific like “I need help with Pandas”, people might be able to give you more direct answers.

Chris

2 Likes