Interpreting the scatter plots in Guided project: Visualizing Earnings Based On College Majors

Please I need help on interpreting the scatter plot in the guided project: Visualizing Earnings Based On College Majors
I can’t seem to answer the following questions with the scatter plots I created

• Do students in more popular majors make more money?
  • Do students that majored in subjects that were majority female make more money?
  • Is there any link between the number of full-time employees and median salary?

Any help will do…
Thanks

Hi,

So I’ve just completed that guided project and uploaded my workbook here.

I found the scatter plots didn’t, in general, show strong relationships, so it was no or maybe for a lot of the questions. My thoughts were (although others may disagree):

• Do students in more popular majors make more money?

My answer. The scatter plot suggests that there is no noticeable relationship between the sample size and the median salary. (However I did include two qualifiers for my answer!)

• Do students that majored in subjects that were majority female make more money?

My answer: No. Here there is a noticeable relationship: the higher the proportion of female graduates for a major, the lower the median salary is.

The lower median salary is not due to more part-time work because it is defined as the median salary of full time year-round workers.

This means that the lower salary could be due to the lower pay for the types of major (and subsequent career paths) that have a higher proportions of female graduates and/or due to lower wages due to their gender or less career capital due to a higher propensity to take time away from work for family.

• Is there any link between the number of full-time employees and median salary?

My answer: There is not a noticeable correlation between the number of graduates per major employed full-time and the median wage. If there was to be a relationship it would be positive i.e. more full-time employees leads to a higher median wage. But as noted above the median wage figures are based off smaller unweighted samples that may not represent the wider population of graduates with each major.

In summary, I also found it hard to get clear answers to the questions from the scatter plots.

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

Vivek

Thanks a whole lot.
I just reviewed your notebook and I am so impressed. I didn’t go anywhere near that, so I’ll re-work on mine. :wink:
I also felt comparing the sample size to other column values in the data set, does not readily give precise explanations or answers to the questions asked, considering that the sample does not give the true representation of graduated employed or unemployed.
In my opinion, I’ll prefer to use other variables such as employed, unemployed, women, men, full_time_year_round to answer some of the questions and gain more insight.

Thanks.

Yeah I agree, the sample size variable is not the best when analysing potential patterns.

Good luck!

1 Like