Is Fandango Still Inflating Ratings? - working with our samples

Screen Link:
https://app.dataquest.io/m/288/guided-project%3A-investigating-fandango-movie-ratings/4/isolating-the-samples-we-need

I’m on page 4 of this guided project and have a couple of questions.

1. Why are we guided to limit our analysis to 2015 and 2016 when our data is already temporally limited to 2014/15 and 2016/17?

2. Fandango currently only displays ratings and reviews from Rotten Tomatoes (as far as I can see). Does this mean that it’s not possible to verify the numbers of ratings for the movies in the second (2016/17) data set used in this project? The documentation for the data set only says it contains movies that had “a significant number of votes.”

Update:
I’ve tried a cumbersome workaround which is to use the wayback machine. I can see ratings for movies in theaters on a given date, but the archive isn’t searchable. Going down this path, I looked up the release dates for the ten sample movies and will have to load up the dates separately which takes several minutes per page. After about 40 minutes, I’m abandoning ship. Seems like an unreasonable effort for a small amount of information.

5 Likes

I couldn’t find anything but Rotten Tomatoes ratings and reviews on the Fandango site either.

I guess I’ll just plow ahead under the assumption that the two datasets are comparable enough. It seems like this project should be reworked some, though.

5 Likes