Launching the Learning Assistant program - creating a culture of helpfulness

The act of helping does good to both the person being helped and the person who is helping. Nowhere is this fact more utilised than in the tech industry. The Internet is filled with stories where learners narrate their experience and describe how helping others

• helps you revise concepts and improve yourself
  • builds self-confidence by reaffirming your own mastery over the subject
  • gives you gratification in knowing that you sped up the learning process for a fellow learner

In fact, these are exactly the feelings that our community moderators articulated when they were asked for the reasons why they like helping in our community!

I, personally, believe that the ability to help others is a skill and a credential. That is why I am super excited about launching the Learning Assistant program with the aim of incentivising all members of this community to cultivate this skill.

Learning Assistants for the Dataquest Community

In this program, we will recognise learners, who consistently help solve the doubts of other learners. We do so by calling them out as Learning Assistants for the Dataquest Community. As a reward, we will also grant them a “Learning Assistant” badge in the Community, free Dataquest Premium membership, official certificate of volunteering and more.

We are dividing the above mentioned rewards into 3 tiers:

Tier 1 : A Learning Assistant badge

Tier 2: 1 month of free Dataquest Premium subscription

Tier 3 : 2 months of free Dataquest Premium subscription + Certificate (“Volunteered as Learning Assistant for Dataquest”) + a flair

The Dataquest team will evaluate the community members who are eligible to receive these rewards at the end of each month, based on the number of posts that the member has created to help solve other learners’ problems.

Evaluation criteria

Here’s how we will evaluate for each tier:

Tier 1

• Minimum number of total replies: 15
  • Minimum number of replies marked as solution: 3

Tier 2

• Minimum number of total replies: 30
  • Minimum number of replies marked as solution: 6

Tier 3

• Minimum number of total replies: 60
  • Minimum number of replies marked as solution: 12

A student must satisfy all the criteria for the particular tier in order to qualify for receiving it’s rewards.

Note: Our goal is to encourage the maximum number of students to help their peers and to that end, we will change or add to the above mentioned criteria as we see fit. So, do keep an eye on this topic.

Let us make everyone around us better through teaching! :man_teacher: :woman_teacher:

36 Likes

it is a good idea for us to give back to the community that made who we are today. We are balizzing the trail on (see competitions).
if i am giving the opportunity i shall put in my best.Thanks

4 Likes

The idea is really amazing. Excited!!
The benefit of giving back to your community is it boosts your self-esteem. There’s nothing more self-affirming than knowing that you are doing something good.Plus, it makes you feel good.Now that you are doing something more meaningful in your life, you develop a better sense of self.
Thanks.!

4 Likes

This is nice. We rise by lifting others.

5 Likes

Really like this idea! Helping others also makes you master your own skills.

5 Likes

Great idea! Hopefully this encourages more users to be more active in the DQ community.

3 Likes

Very good idea !! Thanks for always creating new concepts team !

3 Likes

Awesome! This is good, the idea and the purpose. Together we learn, together we grow.

4 Likes

I think this is a fantastic idea and I am definitely interested. I personally feel the best way to learn something is being able to teach it to others.

3 Likes

This is an awesome idea! This motivates me to help out on the forums.

2 Likes

Great idea! It will certainly make the learning community even more supportive. This, in addition to the great content Dataquest offers, makes the learning journey exciting.

3 Likes

Great idea! This will definitely support mutual help and motivates learning in the community.

2 Likes

Well thought👍. It is really going to make the community stronger. Thanks a lot

2 Likes

Such a great idea! Thank you!

2 Likes

thanks! great encouragement for dataquest community

1 Like

This is a great idea…thank you very much

Great idea! Thank you!