Lists Practice Problems - #11

New to the discussion board (and Python!) so please bear with me.
Working through the practice problems for lists and can’t figure out the problem with my code.

I took an admittedly more complicated route than the suggested solution, but I still get the correct answer; however when I submit, I get the error “Function remove_at_indx did not return the expected value”

Help?

Problem
Create a function, remove_at_idx , with the following features:

• Takes a list as its first argument.
  • Takes a positive index as its second argument.
  • Removes the element at the given index and decreases the index of all subsequent elements by one.
  • Returns a new list.

My Code

def remove_at_idx (xlist,index):
    ylist = [  ]
    for item in xlist:
        indexcheck = xlist.index(item)
        if index != indexcheck:
            ylist.append(item)
    return ylist

remove_at_idx(["A", "B", "C", "D", "E"], 3)

https://app.dataquest.io/m/1018/lists/11/removing-from-the-queue

Hey, Megan.

Here’s a hint. Investigate what happens when you run your function with the following two inputs:

• ["A", "A", "A"], 1
  • [0, 1, 2, 2, 2, 2], 2

Solving it in your head, what should be the output of each of them? What is the actual output?

Hi Bruno,

I can see now that duplicates obviously throw my code off.

I misunderstood the list.index function to take the index of each iteration, rather than the lowest index it found of that value.

I’m sure there is a workaround but probably too advanced for me at this stage :slight_smile:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Hey, Megan.

I don’t think this is beyond you at this stage, not given that you were able to understand where your code was going wrong.

Here’s an idea:

• Create an empty list.
  • Loop through the input and do something at each iteration (except for one of them)

Although it isn’t necessary, the enumerate function can be useful here.

hi @Bruno, please i need more explanation on this response. thanks

Please ask your question in a separate post indicating what you’re having trouble with.

My answered here was tailored to Megan. It’s hard to give you helpful information without knowing what you’re having trouble with.

This is a very instructive mistake to make. As Bruno suggests

for i, item in enumerate(xlist):

Would have done what you wanted. I find for myself that often after spending a long time on a problem that Python has a way to do it already. In this case you can do the following

xlist.pop(index)

This is not as instructive but does demonstrate the power of Python I think.

3 Likes