Mission Variabilty, Screen 1

The summary metrics we’ve learned so far don’t tell us anything about variability. The mean, the median, and the mode of distribution A are all 4, and distribution B has a mean and a median of 4, and no mode.

A also has no mode. Is this correct.

1 Like

Hey there!

In the future, it would be helpful for you to provide a direct link to the missions you have questions about so it’s easier for us to get context around what’s going on.

Distribution A is set to [4,4,4,4] — the mode is the most frequently seen value, which is 4. Distribution B [0,8,0,8] has no mode, since both 0 and 8 are seen an equal number of times — therefore, there isn’t any one value that is seen more than the others.

2 Likes

A there,

How you say that A has mode 4 coz A has only one value 4 ie;(4,4,4,4)

1 Like

Hey, Sharathnandalike.

What Dustin said, in other words, is that the mode is obtained by counting how many times each value occurs, sorting descendingly by the frequency and picking the value on top.

If you count how many times each of the values in (4, 4, 4, 4) occurs you get than 4 occurs four times. The value on top is 4, so it is also the mode.

It is true that it is also the value on the bottom, but that doesn’t contradict our definition; it is also the value on top and hence it is the mode.

1 Like

I am not talking about the no. of times 4 occurs , whether it is 4 times or 5 times. 4 is a standalone no. here. Hence, may we say that it is the mode.

I don’t understand what you’re saying. In your question you asked the following:

A also has no mode. Is this correct.

Now you’re saying that A has a mode as if it was what you meant all along. I don’t understand. Can you please clarify your question?